DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plumber installed a short pipe with a valve right on the water pipe that was running in the wall directly behind my new fridge but he didn't put an icemaker outlet box or anything to close up the hole in the wall. What do you suggest can be done to isolate it and make it neat? Here is a picture of what it looks like
Rectangle Paint Wood Wall socket Gas
Rectangle Paint Wood Wall socket Gas

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If the open wall bothers you (even though it's behind the fridge, you could put in one of these to the correct size opening, but you will have to notch it out for the line to come thru.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to the hardware store and bought this plastic cover which has an access door. I think that maybe I could simply make a hole in it the size of the tube to insert it. This way, I would have access to the shut off valve and it would cover the hole in the wall...
Wall Material property Gas Paint Font

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That sure looks like an accident, ready to happen. If you don't fasten the valve down, any tubing connected to the valve will put stress on the setup. A stiffer, heavier tubing, like copper, which it should be, would put a lot stress on the valve.

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
Don’t use that access panel and notch the cover. That screams hack work.
Use an appropriate refrigerator/ice maker valve box.

example at link below

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is very half assed ...

Shut the water off, put an elbow on the pex, add a bit of vertical line, install the above as shown by OSO higher on the wall. Drywall patch for the lower part of the hole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand what should be done, open a new hole in the wall higher up? Why install a vertical line? The pipe is already vertical...I think that I will have my contractor contact the plumber to get this resolved. We are paying big $$ for this installation...They also installed my new faucet which comes with a sensor for hands free turn off and turn on but installed the box that contains the battery etc way up behind the sink where I can't even access if I have to change the batteries.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Don’t use that access panel and notch the cover. That screams hack work.
Use an appropriate refrigerator/ice maker valve box.

example at link below
I never knew that box was a thing, never saw one. Much better than the hole cover I suggested.

Reactions: Oso954

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I went to the hardware store and bought this plastic cover which has an access door. I think that maybe I could simply make a hole in it the size of the tube to insert it. This way, I would have access to the shut off valve and it would cover the hole in the wall... View attachment 700686
Hard to tell from the picture, but that door you purchased looks too small for the hole anyway.
Better to go back to the contractor, as you said.

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
I don't understand what should be done, open a new hole in the wall higher up? Why install a vertical line?
I would ask why yours was installed so low. (That also applies to the electric receptacle.)

Many kitchens have a counter space adjacent to the fridge. So, without info to the contrary, I would assume that possibility. If you install both above counter height, you can reach behind the fridge shut things off/pull the plug. At worst all you have do is move the fridge a little,.

When installed low, you need to pull the fridge completely out and get behind it to stop a leak fridge or water line.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't understand what should be done, open a new hole in the wall higher up? Why install a vertical line? The pipe is already vertical...I think that I will have my contractor contact the plumber to get this resolved. We are paying big $$ for this installation...They also installed my new faucet which comes with a sensor for hands free turn off and turn on but installed the box that contains the battery etc way up behind the sink where I can't even access if I have to change the batteries.

Well, I am just sharing how I would install it for myself, how would fix it for a friend or family member, or especially how I would want it installed if I paid somebody to install it for me.

There are little niche boxes for things like washer machine hookups, fridge hookups, ice makers, etc that are installed in stud + drywall walls; which have the plumbing line come from underneath in the wall, up to about counter top height or a bit higher. There is no way to install such a thing with whatever lazy thing the " plumber " did. Things like that done by " pros " are exactly why I got into DIY 22 years ago. Now I do see that you have two lines going up. So, such a niche may not fit, depending on which one it is, and how much space it needs etc unless one has it in hand looks it over. But that's where a bit of length and going higher may help so the fat part of the niche is right at the space between the two pipes, since pex has a bit of flex when it is longer, allowing for some positioning adjustment, unlike rigid pipe.

The benefit of having it above counter height would be - if it is not encased between pantry and/or walls - to turn the water on off you'd only have to roll the fridge forward half a foot, instead of all the way out.

What you do is up to you.

Simplest thing. To close off the wall, one could potentially, turn that T-fitting forward facing the fridge and then turn the shutoff as needed, being that it is PEX. I'd be confident doing that with a brass T. I don't know how strong or delicate the plastic one is. But if that little shutoff were proud of the wall, you could just make-up two bits of drywall to patch around the pex. May need a slightly longer piece of pex on that line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fridge is being positioned between to high cabinets (see picture showing before the wall was opened to access water pipes, the small green tape was to show where the water pipes are in that wall). It will be a counter deep fridge.
Cabinetry Building Kitchen Fixture Wood

·
Registered
450 Posts
That whole insatllation is wrong! It stinks. Remove the whole thing and put the valve in an open reachable place, like the basement. What about replacing the water filter in the fridge? It's recommended that you turn off the water supply first. You're going to move the fridge (fully packed) every few months to change the water filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't know that you had to cut off the water when changing the carthrige but I could cut the water from the main if necessary. I'm the one who suggested that they get the water directly from the pipes that runs behind the fridge since the sink is 13' 4" from the sink

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no room to put this icemaker outlet box where the pipes are at the moment unless I plug in another pipe or tube into it and create another access away from the initial pipes

·
Registered
450 Posts
Exactly where does that pipe go down to?
Those pipes go down to a basement (crawl space)? You tap off the pipe and run tubing to the fridge. No need to put a hole in the wall. You drill a hole for the tubing in the floor behind the fridge and put a valve at the point of tapping off the nearest water pipe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts