DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you drain the water in a well water pressure tank, because I have to cut the Pex pipe to put in a outside faucet. Last time I thought I did it right but all the water bursted out across my basement, guess did not turn off power to tank. Will be putting in a shut off valve next to it. Thank you too !

Attachments

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
The pipe is CPVC not pex.

You already have a shut off valve it's the red handle in the picture.
Unless your trying to add the outside faucet before the expansion tank, I wouldn't do that.

·
Naildriver
17,098 Posts
I agree. Your lead in pipe is PEX, but you would have to install a 3/4" outside faucet off that. No real harm in it, since pressure is pressure, both ahead and behind the tank. The CPVC valve will shut the water pressure off going up that wall, but not the water falling back down once you cut it. Worst of two worlds.

You need a ball valve on the PEX for sure, but the only way that will happen is if you turn off the pump, turn off that red valve, run as much water out of the tank via a faucet as you can, connect a hose to the hose bib and finish draining the tank. Once you have done that, you can install your ball valve on the PEX out away from the tank so you can install your faucet piping.

Once the tank is empty, make sure the pressure inside the tank is at 28# or 2# below cut in pressure of your well pump. Once you do that, you can refill the tank.

·
Usually Confused
9,186 Posts
I'll guess the red-handled valve is for the house, and the black-handled valve near the pressure gauge is a drain tap. If so, shut off pump power, closed red valve and open black valve (assuming water has someplace to go). It will come forcefully at first then slow. Press the centre pin of the schrader valve on the tank to let air into the system. You'll have to recharge it anyway.
If the red valve is on the incoming line, you'll have to drain the whole house. Make the water heater is off and open a tap to let air into the system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The red valve in where the water is coming in, Pex pipe is a new pipe I put in cuz when they built my house the water line was too close to the sill plate, would freeze so I put a new pipe in away from the wall. But I didn’t put a new ball valve by the pressure tank, so now going to cut that and put a ball valve in by pressure tank, then a line for outside. I have 2 shut off valves for the house, just need to put one by pressure tank. Moving my outside line cuz I put in a water filter and don’t want to be using the filters for outside.
Do you have to let the air out of tank till the gage is low. Will put a garden hose on the faucet on the pressure tank, and there’s another faucet next to that but a round handle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.