DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LG front loader washer is clogged. It had a rug in it that basically disintegrated. I pulled out the rug remains, and tried to run a clean cycle. The washer is now 1/3 full of water, has the OE code, and the door is locked. I've used the drain tube in the bottom front and emptied a small amount of water. And I've cleaned the filter on the bottom front as well. However, it still does drain when I run a spin cycle. Now when I try to use the drain tube in the bottom front nothing is coming out and the filter is pretty much clean. I hear the hum of the drain pump running. I'm guessing the tube from the tub to the drain pump is clogged. But all the instructions about taking the washer apart to get inside involve opening the door, and I (1) can't open my front door and (2) will have several gallons of water gush out if I could. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have a wet/dry vac, you might see if it'll pull out the clog or water. You may have to be innovated to match up the hoses...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unplugging the washer unlocked the door. Now I'm cracking the door open and sucking up the water on the bottom face of the washer as it drizzles down with a shop vac. It is slow but this should get the water out and then I can take it apart without too big of a mess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried sucking with the shop vac from the bottom filter area but it didn't seem to do any good getting out the water or the clog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took washer all the way apart. The rubber backing of the rug effectively disintegrated into a rubber sand like sludge. It was everywhere.
20191123_131336.jpg

·
Registered
246 Posts
Took washer all the way apart. The rubber backing of the rug effectively disintegrated into a rubber sand like sludge. It was everywhere.
View attachment 578051
Thanks for letting us know how you resolved this. Sometimes someone will ask for help, get several suggestions, and disappear--not letting others know what worked, if anything.

Hope this has a good ending for you.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I hate those bath rugs with rubber backing. There’s a newer kind of bath rug. They don’t have a rubber backing but the back still has a bit of sticky feel that keeps the rug from sliding around. I have 2 from Ikea.

I also have older rugs with rubber backing. Fortunately, the backing tends to crumble a little (not enough to clog) at a time over the years until there’s no more backing. My bath rugs do get washed every other week so I don’t expect rubber backings to last long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts