DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear DIY

I am renovating a broken lamp called Muuto Leaf floor lamp (see pictures). The touch sensor for this LED lamp is broken and I am going to replace it, however I am unable to open it up.

I think it is glued but I am not sure, there is no screws. As you can see I have tried to separate it with a small 0.8mm screwdriver but it didn't do much.

Does anyone have an idea on how to open it? Should I try heating it? Recommendations on best heating method?

Best regards,
Tobias

IMG_20201121_195355.jpg IMG_20201121_195402.jpg IMG_20201121_195412.jpg

·
Naildriver
10,809 Posts
I doubt it is serviceable. Since you are in the country where they are manufactured, maybe contacting the company and looking through their FAQ's would help.

Reactions: Mike Milam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it is serviceable. Since you are in the country where they are manufactured, maybe contacting the company and looking through their FAQ's would help.
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted them and they have a fantastic customer service. They didn't give me any advice on repair but they replaced the lamp with a new one without charge. However, even though I have a new one I would like to try to repair this one (if I don't succeed I have the new lamp any way).

·
Naildriver
10,809 Posts
In the second picture, there is a seam shown all around it. Try prying between this seam and try to separate the two halves. You may break it, but at least you will know if it is serviceable or not. Great way to learn.

Reactions: Toblag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking of heating it in the oven to about 70-80 degrees Celcius (160-175 Fahrenheit) and cross my fingers that it is glued and will be easier to separate. Or should I only heat the seam with a heat gun?

It's more a way to learn than fix, but of course I hope I succeed :)

·
retired framer
39,816 Posts
I am thinking of heating it in the oven to about 70-80 degrees Celcius (160-175 Fahrenheit) and cross my fingers that it is glued and will be easier to separate. Or should I only heat the seam with a heat gun?

It's more a way to learn than fix, but of course I hope I succeed :)
When things can be fixed they send you the parts, so it is like glued and may not come apart. If the lens is plastic you maybe can just cut that off and glue it back on later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think they used plastic hook when making this lamp, so the only way is probably to use a thin knife to cut it off. That means you won't be able to put them back together normally. Once removed and repaired successfully, use adhesive or double-sided tape to attach them back together. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts