DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had brick put down on my porch. It looked great when they finished because it was wet. Now that it is dry it looks really dusty. I think they just did not clean the mortar off very good. Is there an easy way for me too clean it?

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Most mason's I have seen work us Muriatic Acid to clean brick. I don't know the exact process, someone here will chime in on this. But you have a flat floor and I would not want the Muriatic Acid lying on this floor too long. One way, a hard way, would be to find a cement block that is preferably broken. With a piece of this block that has a flat surface use the flat surface as a grinding/sanding stone and rub the brick of the floor. Do not get too aggressive as this will actually scratch the brick.

·
Registered
37,175 Posts
Call the people back that you had do the floor and have them clean it up.
Yes there more the likely going to use muriatic acid, but there going to cut it with water then hose or pressure wash it off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call the people back that you had do the floor and have them clean it up.
Yes there more the likely going to use muriatic acid, but there going to cut it with water then hose or pressure wash it off.
Yea might be tough since they were already paid. You could not tell when it was put in because it was wet.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Don't use muriatic, it can ruin your brick. Use a cleaner for new construction cleaning of masonry like Sure Kleen 600 (if it is red/orange) or Vanatrol (if it is white/tan/brown). Wet the are and the soak the surface before using and follow all instructions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've laid several split brick floors using 3/8" pavers and I've always cleaned them with a muriatic acid solution (add the acid to water per directions on label) and I've never had issues with it damaging the pavers or mortar (I used old chicago split brick pavers each time)... I wouldn't recommend user a block or brick to "sand" them if all you have is a haze... do not apply sealer without first removing the haze or you will be stuck with it. Use the cleaner somebody else recommended or use a muriatic acid solution... just make sure you rinse well with a sponge and clean water (change your rinse water frequently)... maybe start with a 1 cup acid per gallon of water solution and test... increase acid if needed... wear rubber gloves

·
Registered
85 Posts
the reason I don't recommend scrubbing or sanding the face of the brick with another abrasive object is because you will get colored dust (brick color) in the mortar joints and aside from looking bad due to discoloration of the mortar, it is very difficult to get out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
  • Mix one part acid to one part water. NOTE: Always add acid to water instead of adding water to acid.
  • Create the proper strength mixture in a bucket.
  • Use the paint brush to apply the acid mixture to the mortar you wish to remove.
  • Wait for the fizzing to stop before using the steel scrub brush to clean the mortar off the brick.
  • Rinse with clean water.
  • Repeat if necessary.
  • Properly dispose of acid solution when the job is finished. Do not remove protective wear until the acid has been properly disposed of and/or stored.

·
Banned
51 Posts
clean mortar off brick floor you can also use this..

1. Mix one ounce of soap and one ounce of table salt with enough water to make a cream. Rub mixture into brick surface with cloth; allow to dry at least ten minutes and remove with stiff brush; or
  2. Make a thick mixture of soap or detergent, pumice, a little ammonia and hot water. Paint the mixture on the surface and let dry. Rub off with a wet scrub brush. You are using alkali and a mild abrasive to remove the greasy soil..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts