DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on staining the concrete in my unfinished basement. As a first step I used H&C Concrete Etching Solution (phosphoric acid-based). Since the concrete was smooth, I didn't dilute it per instructions. I unfortunately wasn't clear enough on the clean up process, as I think the directions assume this will be used outside and easily just sprayed into the grass or drain. All of the etching dried on the concrete and I can't get it off for the life of me. I've tried mopping, brushing, spraying, followed by sucking the water up with a shop vac. Currently I have been using a 1600 psi pressure washer followed by agitation with a stiff broom then vacuuming. This seems to be helping but at this rate it will still require many more passes.

Am I missing something here? Is there a chemical I can use to speed this along? or a cleaner? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
here's how we stain - 1st a lo-speed buffer w/blk pad & 1c of tsp in 5gal of wtr to scrub conc,,, then we rinse well - maybe even 3x,,, THEN we apply stain onto wet conc,,, acid etching is NEVER recommended if followed by acid stain by any pro's,,, suggest you find some apron/vest store's muriatic acid, dilute it 8wtr:1acid,,, apply w/garden sprinkler can, buffer & blk pad, then rinse the **** out of it w/1ammonia:6wtr,,, you should be good then

acid stain chemically changes the color of the 'free lime' in the conc hence acid-stain'd conc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help! Sorry for the late reply. I will definitely try this out, as nothing else seems to work. The stain I will be using is acetone stain. Not too sure what the difference is between that and real acid stain, but in this case it was recommended that I etch the floor for acetone.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
1 etches to prepare conc's pH for better bonding w/cementitious overlays,,, where are you buying your mtls ? apron or vest stores ? sounds as if your source knows little about stains, etc,,, acetone's used as a carrier for conc dyes,,, they're a whole different set of problems

IF your residue's as heave as you describe, lo-rpm buffer & blk pad should help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts