DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a major leak from our bathtub upstairs (ceiling fell/things got damaged etc) and we have spent the day identifying where the leak is coming from. It's from the faucet of the tub and as you can see the hole behind was patched up with putty/caulk etc. We are planning to clean this up but we aren't sure what to seal that hole in the tile with. Is that necessary? Or just caulking around the faucet is enough? Planning to buy a new faucet to replace.

Thank you for any help you are able to offer.
Gas Wood Plumbing Concrete Pipe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to post a pic of the spout that has deposits inside which makes us think water was somehow running back into the wall and through the hole in the tile causing the leak? Is that even a possibility? Or are we on a wrong track here?
Toilet paper Paper towel Tissue paper Household supply Toilet roll holder

·
Super Moderator
6,943 Posts
If you are sure that's where the leak is coming from, yes, I would seal the gap around the pipe better with some grout or silicone, just to be on the safe side. That's a pretty big gap that water can get in and behind the wall cavity. It's going to be covered up anyway. That will assure no water will get behind/inside the wall cavity and cause water damage, mold, rot etc.

I can't tell by the picture, but it could be possible the pipe is slightly pitching towards the wall more. No biggy, that's why there is a cut out at the bottom of the spout so the excess water will drain in the tub.

Imo, seal around that pipe better and you should be good to go. Make sure you seal around the tub spout (except for the cut out at the bottom) for the excess water to drain. Do not cover that up. Clean it up and get rid of all the old caulk/silcone, etc. first.

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
Have you determined exactly WHERE the leak is? Is it in the compression extending the copper pipe? Is it from splash on the walls going into the hole?

Once you have determined and fixed the leak, install your spout and use an elastomeric caulk around the entire spout with the exception of a space about 3/8" wide at the bottom. This will allow errant water to fall harmlessly into the tub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts