DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silly question. I have 2" ABS DWV vent pipes penetrating the roof. My roofer will waterproof everything. But I don't know how to properly terminate the pipe over the roof. Put a metal cap on it?

Thanks for any suggestion.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a silly question. I have 2" ABS DWV vent pipes penetrating the roof. My roofer will waterproof everything. But I don't know how to properly terminate the pipe over the roof. Put a metal cap on it?

You don't have to do anything but install flashing. The vent pipes connect to the drain system (obviously) so any water that goes in just goes to the sewer. The hardware stores around me carry mushroom caps if you're worried about it, or you can get screened caps at supply houses to keep animals/insect nests out of the vents

·
Registered
584 Posts

Leve it a lone . Don't put a cap on it . It need's to vent. It is hooked up to the septic tank or the sewer. Any way it need's the air intake to drain .In all the yrs i have never had any one have problum's Their is a led piece that goes over the roof and than folded over the pvc pipe. that is all that need to be

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I wanted to say 'sleeve' or 'boot', not 'cap'. :laughing:

How many feet should I leave the ABS vent pipe above roof?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
Sorry, I wanted to say 'sleeve' or 'boot', not 'cap'. :laughing:

How many feet should I leave the ABS vent pipe above roof?

Thanks!
Minimum 6", I usually extend 12" above the roof. Stay away from side walls, windows, and fresh air intakes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts