DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling the old style fireplace which had a brick wall. I am enclosing the picture of what I have and where I want to be.
The actual burner would need to be brought out and so it seems. I still need to be able to vent to that chimney though. This fireplace used to be a real wood-burning fireplace.
Ideas?
Property Brickwork Wood Brick Building material

Building Wood Door Grey Brick
Couch Property Furniture Comfort Interior design

·
Registered
673 Posts
Before you do much more, make sure you will be following local codes.
Be a shame to build and then find it illegal.. affecting the property value.
ex:
Russian fireplaces may be the best design for heating fireplaces; I don't know anyplace they are legal in the USA.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I suggest that you really have a good idea how you’re going to rebuild things before you do any more deconstruction.

There are many ultra-modern gas fireplaces, or electric that mimic gas, that are totally enclosed manufactured units where the exhaust ducting requirements are spelled out and it just needs to be installed according to the directions (see graphic below).

Your photo shows just a gas pipe burning fuel. Someone is going to need to design the exhaust system so that it vents the products of combustion properly (and hopefully closes during non-use so that room air isn’t going up the chimney). If you’re getting a building permit for this work I predict that they’ll want someone knowledgeable to sign off on it because they won’t know if the design is safe or not. That will be an expensive undertaking. If you’re not getting a building permit and try to DIY the system yourself you may end up with something that never gets used because it doesn’t work properly.

Property Building Couch Lighting Interior design

·
Registered
673 Posts
I didn't get the "Russian fireplace" comment either. I'm guessing that you're referring to a masonry heater (in some locales also known as a "Russian stove')?
The modern design adaptation is commonly legal.
The "ancient" basic design is not commonly legal in the USA due to the fire chamber dimensions.
In 100+ year old structures, many fireplaces must be sealed or removed due to similarities to
old Russian fireplaces... fire codes.

Another story, another time; interesting history relating to heating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I suggest that you really have a good idea how you’re going to rebuild things before you do any more deconstruction.

There are many ultra-modern gas fireplaces, or electric that mimic gas, that are totally enclosed manufactured units where the exhaust ducting requirements are spelled out and it just needs to be installed according to the directions (see graphic below).

Your photo shows just a gas pipe burning fuel. Someone is going to need to design the exhaust system so that it vents the products of combustion properly (and hopefully closes during non-use so that room air isn’t going up the chimney). If you’re getting a building permit for this work I predict that they’ll want someone knowledgeable to sign off on it because they won’t know if the design is safe or not. That will be an expensive undertaking. If you’re not getting a building permit and try to DIY the system yourself you may end up with something that never gets used because it doesn’t work properly.

View attachment 694765
I was going to extend the base by 24". Then, use sheet metal over it to hook it back to the chimney. At least, that was the extent of my idea.
I was going to use this.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was going to extend the base by 24". Then, use sheet metal over it to hook it back to the chimney. At least, that was the extent of my idea.
I was going to use this.

NO AMOUNT OF INTERNET APPROVAL OF YOUR IDEA COUNTS FOR ANYTHING.
You may be missing a cautionary point.
Verify it's usage and design fit with your local building codes, FIRST !
You need to know what you don't yet know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO AMOUNT OF INTERNET APPROVAL OF YOUR IDEA COUNTS FOR ANYTHING.
You may be missing a cautionary point.
Verify it's usage and design fit with your local building codes, FIRST !
You need to know what you don't yet know.
I know and I am not going forward with it. I am brainstorming it at the moment with all you friends.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I know and I am not going forward with it. I am brainstorming it at the moment with all you friends.
There is Pro knowledge to help, but we don't like advising incorrectly; we need a basis to start.
That basis is local requirements because those requirements may dictate the direction of the brainstorming.

Find the basis... then, begins the Fun of creativity. Let's Do It ! :) (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly your final intent is for the fireplace (do you want to keep it wood burning?) or do you want something more modern and efficient?
Our house is 27 years old and no one has ever used the woodburning fireplace in the years before we bought the place last year. The design is similar to yours, we aren't fans of woodburning either so we had a gas fireplace insert installed. Since it's a sealed unit and intake and exhaust is brought in through ss tubes via the chimney, the units are very efficient in cost to operate and in heat output. Also since the units are sealed, you need less space between the insert and any combustibles used in your construction.
One piece of advice I have to offer is, don't buy the cheapest unit you can find. Get something with adjustable fire settings and fan speeds.
YouTube is your friend when it comes to "How To" ideas.
Good luck with your project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts