DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When you are doing a bevel edge, does it go on all edges...specifically, would it go on the edge beside the stove? Can you post a picture of what the counter edges look like when using a bevel edge beside he stove if you have one?

I am tempted to use the crescent edge on both edges. This will eliminate the exposed mdf, but will result in a bit of a gap between the stove and counter.
Here is a link showing the bevel edge and the crescent edging:
http://www.wilsonart.com/homeowners/laminates/edge-options

I agree with you, using the crescent edge against the stove and front would solve a few problems.

·
Renovating My Land Yacht
575 Posts
Couple of Q's if I may.

Where to buy the laminate sheets other than big box? My assumption is I do not want vertical grade as that is thinner correct?

I was planning on using MDF as the substrate and want to seal it as much as I can prior to putting the laminate on. I have heard of using the glue water mix, will this work for the underside? (looking to just add a layer from the front underside edge back for a few inches to protect from drips running over the front of the counter back towards the cabinets)

·
Super Moderator
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Couple of Q's if I may.

Where to buy the laminate sheets other than big box? My assumption is I do not want vertical grade as that is thinner correct?

I was planning on using MDF as the substrate and want to seal it as much as I can prior to putting the laminate on. I have heard of using the glue water mix, will this work for the underside? (looking to just add a layer from the front underside edge back for a few inches to protect from drips running over the front of the counter back towards the cabinets)
You are right, you do not want vertical grade it is paper thin. MDF will be fine but I would seal all the bottom just as a precaution. MDF will swell especially over the dishwasher because steam can escape the DW. I like TightBond III because it is water proof but a good enamel paint will work also. Don't use any sealer where you will apply the HPL.

If you can find a cabinet supply, they will have HPL, some lumber companies will also but the cabinet supply will have way more. Is there a reason you don't want to buy HPL from the big box stores? They don't have a huge selection but maybe they could order you some.

There are places online that will ship to you.

·
Renovating My Land Yacht
575 Posts
Thanks Jim...so today I did a lil shopping and it looks like I am stuck with one online option. Looked at the big box and funnily enough the 5 cabinet supply companies and the big box all get their counters/laminate from a factory just down the road....and unfortunately they are all 2 weeks out. Guess I am going to have some temp plywood in my future :p

·
Super Moderator
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks Jim...so today I did a lil shopping and it looks like I am stuck with one online option. Looked at the big box and funnily enough the 5 cabinet supply companies and the big box all get their counters/laminate from a factory just down the road....and unfortunately they are all 2 weeks out. Guess I am going to have some temp plywood in my future :p
Here is an online supply who will have just about any HPL you could want. They do ship.

http://www.baersupply.com/baer/servlet/CyberVendor/category/C1257687/catalog/?ShowAllGroups=True

These are one of the suppliers I used when I was in business.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts