DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get from point A to point B in the unfinished basement of my house with 3 new runs. From A to B is about 22 perpendicular joists, so I think i have two options.

drill 3 sets of holes through 22 joists, or, it appears a prior electrician (or homeowner) used the side of the sill plate as a raceway for a single circuit...could I use a stacker of some sort to get 3 more runs tucked away in there? I guess a) is that legal code-wise and b) what sort of stacker would I use?

here is the space I am talking about...

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Only way to run across the joists without drilling, is to place a 1x4 to allow the wires to be secured, so that nothing can hang from them. Other way is to drill no more than a 3/4" hole in each joist, no farther than at least 2" from the bottom of each joist. Take your pick, and choose the easiest, which btw, either way is both just as easy as the other.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I need to get from point A to point B in the unfinished basement of my house with 3 new runs. From A to B is about 22 perpendicular joists, so I think i have two options.

drill 3 sets of holes through 22 joists, or, it appears a prior electrician (or homeowner) used the side of the sill plate as a raceway for a single circuit...could I use a stacker of some sort to get 3 more runs tucked away in there? I guess a) is that legal code-wise and b) what sort of stacker would I use?

here is the space I am talking about...

Just staple them along the sill plate with the other wires.

·
Super Moderator
15,366 Posts
Only way to run across the joists without drilling, is to place a 1x4 to allow the wires to be secured, so that nothing can hang from them. Other way is to drill no more than a 3/4" hole in each joist, no farther than at least 2" from the bottom of each joist. Take your pick, and choose the easiest, which btw, either way is both just as easy as the other.
Greg, the OP could drill a hole larger than 3/4" and run multiple cables thru the holes. Multiple cables could also be run thru the 3/4 hole. Depending on the number of conductors derating may need to be considered.

Also the closer the holes are to the mid point of the depth the less affect the holes will have on weakening the joist. Drilling a hole in the bottom 2" like you state would weaken the joist and could require nail plates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts