DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In planning stage of 12x16 attached screened porch with shed roof. House has vinyl siding. I have ledger board figured out. And I know I must cut vertical slot in siding where wall posts meet house but cannot find specs on exactly how the 2 posts are to be attached to house.

Attachments

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
If the vinyl siding is is good shape, it should be remove and they set back in place with proper J-channel/finish trim.

Your post would be bolted to the wall and ideally a vertical framing member. If it doesn't land on one, you can open the wall and reinforce it at that location for better attachment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I will have to check to see where the studs fall. Opening the wall on the right side won't be possible as it is behind the kitchen sink. Means I need to plan carefully so it will fall on a stud. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
The studs to the wall are not weight bearing. Roof and floor ledgers should do that. Just screw the studs into sheathing. Screws just long enough so you don't hit wires or pipes. Double rows every 20" or so. This is also a good place to fish out wires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually got the studfinder out to see what I would be dealing with. There are multiple studs in the area I want to attach to. Stud for cabinet attachment, stud for light switch and stud for outlet all within 18" span.I feel a lot better about placement now. Thanks ever so much for your info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.