DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to attach a leader drain from a vestibule roof to a 5" cast iron untrapped sewer pipe. I guess I have several main questions:

Do I just put a trap in the PVC, and can I use just 2" or 3" since this is only draining 60 sq ft? It seems that this trap could get dry in a dry season, but maybe I worry too much.

How do I attach the PVC to this hubbed iron? Is there any way besides the old oakum & lead pour, or cutting off the hub to be able to use a rubber coupling?

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
It is not smart to run stormwater into the sanitary sewer system. How big is this vestibule roof?

Septic or city sewer? They used to make a PVC adapter that you put in the bell, then tool in oakum, then tool in lead wool. I used them a lot and they worked well and did not leak, but they have to be installed correctly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To all who commented that I shouldn't put it in the sewer, I don't have a choice, I got dinged by the city for it running onto the sidewalk, like half the leaders and most of the sump pumps here. This is a city rowhouse, and as I said, its only draining a 60 sq ft roof over a front door vestibule or porch. Even the main roof drain into the sewer, it's a flat roof with a "V" double pitch so it drains from the ends to the middle. And we have an ancient combined sewer system, rainwater and sanitary all goes into one pipe, and then, by design, overflows crap into the river! Not my idea, all I want to do is comply with the citation I got.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
What city are we talking about. Sounds like you have a city full of idiots in charge. What do they do with the rain water that free falls, cite God & Mother Nature all of the time it rains, then floods out the streets & yards?

·
Master Plumber
1,711 Posts
g
What city are we talking about. Sounds like you have a city full of idiots in charge. What do they do with the rain water that free falls, cite God & Mother Nature all of the time it rains, then floods out the streets & yards?

LOL gregzoll is right remove the gutters see then see what they want you to do. :jester:

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Parts of my neighboring town still has a combined system. "Cost prohibitive" to separate.
Since you were written up. You should ask them for an approved connection standard. Perhaps their engineering dept?
Do you have a plain end cast pipe or a hub? Plain end- you might find a fernco that would fit. Then again, they might make you trench a new line to a basin- better ask them what they want

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on both counts. These CSO (combined sewage outflow) systems are "designed" so that the 1st 10% or so of a rainfall is captured by the treatment plant, along with most of the "sanitary" content, then whatever else comes down ends up in the river. In addition, basically the entire low ground area of the system becomes a holding tank.

But that's not the topic here, though it's a big topic of discussion on the neighborhood forums. I just need to attach PVC to this 5" cast iron hub and be done. Some more searching reveals that some kind of rubber donut gasket is likely the way to go, even though they say often the old CI is not concentric and causes problems. Given that this is a vertical joint, it only has to be airtight against sewer smell, not watertight against a leakage. Thankfully this property is on high ground, and the sewers there don't flood.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Personally leave it as is, and wait for the idiots i charge of your city to keep making you do something illegal, te prove they are wrong, due to the feds trump them, in attaching the downspouts to the sewer system.

Now of course there is nothing wrong with you putting in a dry well for the rain water, unless the idiots in charge of your municipality are just that.

What I mean, is that unless they can show legally that there is a city ordinance in effect that states you must legally attach your downspouts into the sewer system, I would tell the fool that came around to blow off.

As asked before, what city do you live in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.