DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bathroom has a large pony wall that currently is all single color travertine tile. I would like to center a piece of framed art on the wall to provide a dose of color. One side of the wall is the shower and the other side is the bath tub.

The tile barely has grout lines to add nails in between tiles. I bought Command strips, but my fear is the steam of the shower could loosen the adhesive and the picture would fall and shatter in the bath tub. Another idea is to suspend the art from wires and drill into the top of the wall.

What do you think is the best way to attach the art?

·
Registered
37,222 Posts
Mirror Mastic

·
Registered
54 Posts
Suspending the art with wires and drill into the top of the wall is the better option, as that art would be unaffected by shower heat.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, Mirror Mastic seems rather permanent after doing a quick Google search. Do you know if it would damage the tile if I or a new homeowner tried to remove the picture? Thanks
...and drilling holes in the travertine wouldn't be permanent??? You must have very deep pockets if you don't have a problem with drilling holes in a travertine wall just to hang a picture. Is this a picture of Elvis painted on black velvet?:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you don't want your picture to be a permanent fixture then don't drill holes. Best option is to NOT hang the picture but I agree with the suggestion to hang it as artwork on wires from the ceiling if the aesthetic is right.

Brad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...and drilling holes in the travertine wouldn't be permanent??? You must have very deep pockets if you don't have a problem with drilling holes in a travertine wall just to hang a picture. Is this a picture of Elvis painted on black velvet?:)
The nails/ holes I was referring to would have been in the grout lines not the actual tiles. A designer friend suggested that and then command strips. But to your point, I am not trying to ruin the travertine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts