DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I will start sanding the treated wood deck prior to its initial applying of Sikkens next week. Directions are to use 80 -120 grit. No problem generally.

Ques: the deck boards are the typical treated wood 6" wide with rounded edges. They are installed with min. of spacing (1/8"). So it is going to be difficult to get much sanding done on the rounded edges. Should I bother?

Concern: My belt sander might just mess up the factory rounded edges too much. Hand sanding the board edges on such a large deck is impractical.

What to do?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
The major issue is going to be what the stain penetration and color difference ends up being like if you do not sand the edges. I doubt it will be that much of a problem but try a little test section to put your mind at ease.

Years ago I bought a new Dremel contour sanding kit for $10 at a parking lot inventory reduction sale. I think Dremel was trying to get $100 otherwise for the kit which struck me as a bit absurd. It is by no means a production tool but I do find it more handy than I ever thought for situations like you face. I use it a lot for sanding antique window frame details and so forth. As with anything Dremel the paper is expensive but I suspect Harbor Freight sells alternatives. You might check Amazon, eBay, etc. to see if something similar pops up at a decent price.

·
Registered
310 Posts
IF it's not too late....

DON'T use anything higher than 80-grit!!
Especially on P/T wood!!!
Stain has a hard enough time soaking into some of that stuff...

>>> If I were you, I'd sand it to 60-grit. <<<

FORGET the belt-sander too!
(unless you LIKE punishment....)
Rent a 12"x18" Vibrating flat-plate sander.
Does it much faster and better than any other sanding-method.

Faron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts