DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm going to mount a few Pilates wall units in my studio. Here is a picture of one:

The board at the top and bottom is the "stringer". How much wood do I need there, to be safe? Some people recommend a 2x6, but that seems overkill to me. What do you think? Thanks for any response.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Specs shows 30” wide so it will span 2 studs. Put good screws into the studs and you’re good to go. But i could sure see a 2x6 spanning 3 studs ... it would be more secure. Strip of 3/4” ply at least 4” wide would work.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
With potentially 200+ lbs bouncing on it 21" away from the wall (never know who might try to use it and how), the cautious engineer that I am, I would put up a 51" long 2x6 and make sure it hits 4 studs with 2 or 3 screws in each.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With potentially 200+ lbs bouncing on it 21" away from the wall (never know who might try to use it and how), the cautious engineer that I am, I would put up a 51" long 2x6 and make sure it hits 4 studs with 2 or 3 screws in each.
Thanks for input. Did you notice that it is supported on the floor 21" from the wall? Also, in Pilates, we wouldn't put our full body weight directly on the apparatus. More like half our body weight. I'm just wondering if I can convince you that a 2x6 is overkill?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Did you notice that it is supported on the floor 21" from the wall?
I did not realize that; that's a much different situation than what I assumed.
I'm just wondering if I can convince you that a 2x6 is overkill?
Given that the top bar is not cantilevered, as I thought, the board should be fine attached to 2 studs, so if it's long enough to accomplish that, it should be fine. As far as the size of board to use, I would still use a 2x, just to give the screws more than the 3/4" depth to hold onto. If a 2x4 is wide enough to get the screws into, I'd probably use that. You don't have to convince me of anything; it's your project, and I really don't know what kind of forces it'll be subjected to. 2x lumber is typically as cheap or cheaper than 1x boards (well, 6 months ago that was true; maybe not now.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts