DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Tar will do, but You could have so much rust, that your efforts to seal all holes could be fruitless.
It is less expensive and less time consuming to replace the bad section you're looking at.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,135 Posts
What glue would you use?
Need to clean out the rusty spots, ( I have never seen aluminum rust like that),

Then get a tube of PL Construction adhesive, and either cut a bunch of pop/beer cans for patching, or get a sheet of aluminum coil stock, or gutters from the BOX store, and glue your patches down with the PL.

Start saving your money for a continuous gutter guy to replace all of that at once.

ED

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I wouldn't use construction adhesive for that. You need a tube of roof mastic, a can of trowel grade roof cement, waterproofing tape, or conformable flashing, depending on how big the hole is. The roof mastic is good up to about a 1/4" wide by pretty much any length, or probably 1/2" diameter holes; for the roof cement, maybe 1/2" wide by any length, or a 3/4" hole. The tape might hold on an opening up to 3/4" wide, if you clean up where it has to stick really well. Anything larger, you're going to need the flashing tape; you'll need to clean the really well where the edges of the tape will be, so it has something solid to adhere to.

Or you could just do it right and replace that section of the gutter...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I want to preface this recommendation by saying that this will only be a temporary and ultimately, partial solution here.

+1 on that caution. It does look like this is going to get worse. Spreading the trowel-grade stuff over the whole area might slow it down, but I wouldn't count on it slowing it alot.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
After cleaning a little rust off with a brush about as gentile as a feather duster, i wouldn't put any more effort or money into that other than what about 17 cents worth of duct tape would cover. Gently apply bottom side first then the interior side.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
For any patching material that is going to go on over this hole, anything that's loose will have to come off. Anything, including rust, that doesn't come off easily, can stay. After cleaning it up, if the patching isn't going to extend beyond the rusty area all around, spraying with a rust reformer/converter paint is probably a good preparation step.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
GeoSeal for gutters, caulk gun and AL flashing or scrap. After protecting anything below where a drip might land, cut a small tip on tube of sealant apply all along side of holes and the ends, press metal into place and weight it down with a brick or rock for at lest 24 hours.

Don't remove the lower protection until you are sure the GeoSeal has set.

Reactions: de-nagorg
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.