DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this tile is driving me nuts. as per the photos it appears to be some type of vinyl laid over the original (?) porcelain hex tile.

in a perfect world that vinyl would be easy and (more importantly) safe to remove and the porcelain underneath in good condition. my gut tells me neither of these are true.

many folks say to just go overtop with LVP or similar. is that really the best way? is today's vinyl a decent product? is this a suitable first-time DIY project?

thanks all!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks like basic peel and stick tiles. Remove top layer and SCRUB porcelain tiles. Buy a new peel and stick with a fair amount of spare. Take your time and replace with new tile, they will last you till you rip out the whole bathroom in years to come.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Those tiles will pop right off, I would not worry about that. The cleaning will just be cleaning.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I’d love to go that route but frankly I’m a bit wary of dealing with asbestos especially with a little one in the mix!
You’re the guy who got brain lockup over a hepa vacuum filter for sanding paint. Send the wife and kid to in-laws house for the weekend, take reasonable precautions, and get the job done. Then get on with life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.