DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sunken living room that is 19' x 14' and 4" deep. It has a 4'' concrete wall all the way around the edges. Can I just fill it with concrete or will the weight strain the house too much?

A family member suggested using 1 or 2" concrete foam blocks and the rest concrete. Is this a better idea or should I just stick with all concrete?

The only reason I do not make a floor with 2x4 and plywood is because I live around New Orleans and prone to flooding. I plan on laying ceramic tile down and I do not want the chance of flood water filling in the sunken room and having to rip out all the flooring. And the deep echo sound is another turn off for a plywood subfloor.

Any other ideas are welcomed.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in New orleans too. And want to fill in my sunken room. Have you filled in the room? Who did you use? And are you pleased? Thanks

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Both of you need to post some pictures.
Hi bob you need to go back and add your own post.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I believe you will be fine----the extra weight should not be a problem on a slab.

A few more details will help.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,933 Posts
I would just fill it with dirt and plant flowers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought about turning mine into a pond for the cats to catch fish that way I don't need to be home to feed them at a certain time.

Actually, my sunken room is currently raised and covered so I can't see anything but I drilled though the plywood and discovered it is only 6" deep by 12' x 15' a least thats the measurement of the hallow sound I hear when I stomp my feet.

I have heard I don't need lightweight concrete to I do need lightweight concrete and Styrofoam to lighten the weight. I want this done right and I am not sure the correct method in a warm climate.

I plan on tiling over the new concrete.

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
Why not just frame over the area and install plywood. Sounds like it is already framed over though. Is the current floor framing inadequate to support tile?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts