DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about how old a light switch is that I just replaced. Our house was built in 1930. The box it was in didn't look like it had ever been disturbed (still had the original cloth and rubber covered wiring, in decent shape). It was manufactured by Hubbell and has some sort of ID on the back which I can't make out. It's built like a tank and is pretty heavy. I called Hubbell and they thought it might be made of porcelain but couldn't say when it was made. I know that Hubbell has been around since at least the early 1900's. Has anyone here seen these before and know how old they are? Pics attached. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
It came with the house as built. I can't give you a positive date and have only encountered a couple of them.

Yes to porcelain.

Reactions: Rav

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
To better see obscured print, sometimes chalk or talcum powder can be applied then rub off the top surfaces of the letters/numbers.

EDIT: I've also found that a pic taken and transferred to the computer also sometimes has merit.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To better see obscured print, sometimes chalk or talcum powder can be applied then rub off the top surfaces of the letters/numbers.
Cool, thanks! I had some talcum powder and it actually helped a little. Anyway, it looks like it MAY be P1191 or P119A. Pic attached. Unfortunately Googling that didn't find anything.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,243 Posts
Take a piece of white paper, lay over the questionable print, and use a pencil, slowly rub the side of the pencil point across the paper.

Magic, the imprint is transferred to the paper, and readable.

A 4X magnifier might help also.

ED

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a piece of white paper, lay over the questionable print, and use a pencil, slowly rub the side of the pencil point across the paper.

Magic, the imprint is transferred to the paper, and readable.

A 4X magnifier might help also.

ED
Thanks. I tried the paper and pencil method, with light, medium, then heavy rubbing, and couldn't make out anything at all with that. Tried a magnifier too but that didn't help, it just magnified the blurry characters but they were still blurry. The picture I posted is as good as I could get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts