DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Had a waterbed also, one of the originals. Waterbed and aquarium are different animals though. Double waterbed spreads over like 5’ by 6’ with maybe 10” water max. 125 gal tank is more like 6’ long by 18” wide by a couple of feet high. Less footprint, more weight per sq. Ft.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Had a waterbed also, one of the originals. Waterbed and aquarium are different animals though. Double waterbed spreads over like 5’ by 6’ with maybe 10” water max. 125 gal tank is more like 6’ long by 18” wide by a couple of feet high. Less footprint, more weight per sq. Ft.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The foam mattresses at least recreate that "hug" waterbed feeling :)

My fridge is also a different animal at 4' wide by 2' deep and 7' high. I've gone back through my future remodeling plans and I really can't put it anywhere else so if I need to put in more post/beams to support it's weight, I will.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Which edge will be over the beam?

The long way, or the short way?

If the long way, you got plenty of support.

Can you rearrange the setup, so the aquarium can be positioned more over the beam?

That would be great if you can do that.

ED
It would be positioned like this, and this is the only place I can put it.

joists.png

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You can find span tables but finding something for a load like that is harder to find, so I don't know what the engineers use. But 2x10s, 11 ft long is a pretty good floor.

Doing a few google searches cant find a calculator, but it seems like 2"x10"x12ft is a very common joist size. i just need to find how much weight 1 joist that size can safely support and just figure it out from there (just one number). If a beam that size can support 1000+ lbs Im fine

(since that main beam is going to soak up bunch of load, and 50% of the weight should be on a second joist so anything else on the floor near there wouldnt come close to the remaining 600 labs...

Or is there going to be more to it than that

·
retired framer
45,666 Posts
Doing a few google searches cant find a calculator, but it seems like 2"x10"x12ft is a very common joist size. i just need to find how much weight 1 joist that size can safely support and just figure it out from there (just one number). If a beam that size can support 1000+ lbs Im fine

(since that main beam is going to soak up bunch of load, and 50% of the weight should be on a second joist so anything else on the floor near there wouldnt come close to the remaining 600 labs...

Or is there going to be more to it than that
I have been looking around, there is a reason I never look at that stuff.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,667 Posts
It would be positioned like this, and this is the only place I can put it.

View attachment 547765
Is this lower joist an outside wall, or is this in the middle of the room?

I can't commit to advising you to go ahead, but if you do, and it starts to sag, as Neil suggested you will see it in the water level of the tank.

But if I were doing it, I would probably fill it slowly, while checking a lot, and if it holds GREAT, but if even a slight sag begins, stop, and reinforce the joists, even a jack pole underneath beats nothing.

ED

ED

·
retired framer
45,666 Posts
This interesting. would you build this with 12 ft 2x10s and then left 1800 pounds.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts