DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the thermostat set at 79 degrees in the summer when I run the air conditioning. What percent savings be achieved by raising the thermostat by two or three degrees to 81 or 82? I live in Arizona so humidity isn't a factor. My A/C unit is 5 ton, built in 1995, but has only had 11 years of use since first owner of house was never present in summer. I don't know what specific number insulation the house has, but it's the blow-in type in the attic vs thick pads. I don't change the thermostat, but rather leave leave it at a set temperature.

·
Administrator
40,808 Posts
About a 2% savings for every degree you raise it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You already have the thermostat set to save with that temperature. Increasing the temperature it will compromising your comfort.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You already have the thermostat set to save with that temperature. Increasing the temperature it will compromising your comfort.
I know, but I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort in order to save money. I'll just use more fans.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
You are not going to save money using room fans. I would shop around for a better electric supplier if you can, but where you have the thermostat now, is in line with EPA Energy savings guidelines.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you not have ceiling fans? Adding extra fans to my home wouldn't serve any purpose since every room has a ceiling fan I can use.

·
Administrator
40,808 Posts
Ceiling fans use a lot of electric when you have several running at a time. The A/C can end up being cheaper to use at a slightly lower set temp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ceiling fans use a lot of electric when you have several running at a time. The A/C can end up being cheaper to use at a slightly lower set temp.
I have three ceiling fans in my house and if I read that a 52" ceiling fan uses 90 watts at high speed. So if I have all three on high that's 270 watts vs 3500 watts for a 5 ton A/C. I don't understand how there is no savings by raising an a/c thermostat.

·
Administrator
40,808 Posts
I have three ceiling fans in my house and if I read that a 52" ceiling fan uses 90 watts at high speed. So if I have all three on high that's 270 watts vs 3500 watts for a 5 ton A/C. I don't understand how there is no savings by raising an a/c thermostat.
Those 3 fans generate almost 1,000 BTUs of heat, so your A/C also has to remove that heat.

Check the actual wattage of the fans and the A/C.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good points folks! I keep my ceiling fans on low just to keep air mixing... I believe a ceiling fan on low would be mixing an entire room using less power than a common portable fan. HIGH on a ceiling fan is probably only a good idea when you have no AC....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts