DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Working on a brick veneer, one story house on a slab. One exterior wall is 24' long, has two rotten 3050 windows in it and the sill plate and all the studs are completely disintegrated at the bottom. Window headers and top plates have sagged 3/4". I built a (2) 2x6x50" beam and attached it above and in front of the window and lifted with a bottle jack. The house was creaking and cracking as I lifted and I raised its 3/8", or half the sag and stopped because I was afraid of unforeseen consequences. I installed new jack and king studs.

Could I have raised it the entire 3/4" without repercussions?

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
You might want a heavier beam, anything made out of 2x6's could bend when lifting a house. As Neal said, go slow as the house has settled into that sag over a long time.

I don't know where it was posted (quite some time ago) but the poster was leveling floors on a very old house. After doing some jacking he checked around the house to discover he had lifted one corner of the house several inches off of the foundation. That's an OMG discovery.

Bud

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I used 2x6 because they were all I had. I might bump it up a notch - have to buy more lumber. My regret, now, is that I attached the king and jack studs to the sill and I can't raise it anymore without cutting/pulling nails.

·
retired framer
38,859 Posts
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I used 2x6 because they were all I had. I might bump it up a notch - have to buy more lumber. My regret, now, is that I attached the king and jack studs to the sill and I can't raise it anymore without cutting/pulling nails.
Pull or cut the nails from stud to the bottom plate. Lift it and put shims under them.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left it 3/8" out. This place is a border line tear down. It doesn't need to be perfect.

The windows have me baffled, but I guess I should start a new thread for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts