DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking a fiberglass 4'-6' step ladder to get to the interior 9' ceilings/lights and a fiberglass 28' extension ladder to get me to the 2nd story windows/awnings, gutters and/or roof, if need be.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Reliable brand recommendations would be very helpful too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,460 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have 6-ft (aluminum) and 10-ft (fiberglass) stepladders, and a 24-ft aluminum extension ladder which is quite old. These have served my needs for years, but none is tall enough for my current house, which has a 12/12 pitch roof. I have on occasion borrowed a friend's 40-ft extension ladder, but it is quite heavy and hard for one person to set in place. Were I ever to need another ladder, I would go with Werner fiberglass. There may be better brands, but I am just a DIYer so my ladders don't get used all that much.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get a 5' ladder for 9' ceilings. It's all you need and anything taller will keep you farther away from the wall you're working on, require more floor space, and increase the chance of hitting your head on the ceiling. Werner and Louisville Ladders are considered the best. Most people would recommend fiberglass these days. Personally, my electrical work on a ladder consists of replacing a light fixture every 10-20 years and I'll just shut off the circuit at the fuse box, double check it at the light switch, and get on my aluminum ladder. Lots of stories about fiberglass cracking.

·
Building tradesman
37 Posts
consider

They are available although you have to hunt them down. But 7 foot stepladders have to be the best interior height available. I have 5, 6, 8, in aluminium and have parked all of them in favor of my 7 foot fiberglass model. 8 foot would be good for your particular situation until one of your friends asked you to help with an 8 foot ceiling height. You would have to lean it, which is an osha violation for a stepadder. The 7 foot is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
I hate heights....

But I have to agree with the 7' being the best all around size.....

Without a doubt.....fiberglass.....especially when working with any AC wiring.....

For the extension ladder.....drive around construction sites and see what the contractors are using....

On a side note...I have one of those articulating/folding ladders....it is AL....but I don't think they make a FG version....It comes in handy for a lot of odd jobs....

Additionally...I'm now a big fan of scaffolding....I bought a bunch to go around my addition....once I'm done with it, I'm going to keep a couple of sections....I'd much rather climb up on this to work up high than some ladder....once you break it down, it takes up little space.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With 9' ceilings I would get a fiberglass 8' stepladder. It may come in handy outside the house or in the yard if you have trees, etc. But a 6' would work in the house.
I had not consider trees, thanks! Actually, I just stopped pruning an oak because I couldn't reach any higher...oh & 1st floor gutters, too!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot of great input thanks!

@ddawg I've been looking at those articulating/folding ladders & had not considered a scaffolding, thanks!

Anyone else have experience with these and how they do or do not work for you?
How easily can one setup & tear down the scaffold system by oneself?

I have 6-ft (aluminum) and 10-ft (fiberglass) stepladders, and a 24-ft aluminum extension ladder which is quite old. These have served my needs for years, but none is tall enough for my current house, which has a 12/12 pitch roof.
Why did you get the 2 in aluminum & 1 in fiberglass

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Those fold-up ladders are not the best---if you have a choice of the fold up and a standard ladder--the fold up will stay in the garage.

Get fiberglass whenever you can----they are more stable than aluminum---safer around electricity---and will not cover your hands with black aluminum oxide like an aluminum ladder.

·
224 Posts
Get fiberglass whenever you can----they are more stable than aluminum---safer around electricity---
I whole heartedly agree with this. Years back I was helping a friend put an attic ladder in his garage and I was up on his 6' aluminum ladder. I was trying to get something in position and took enough of my weight off the ladder that the light ladder went sailing. Fortunately I grabbed the rafter and hung on. We still laugh about me swinging in his garage.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I buy only werner. I also have all sorts of stabilizers. I like the click on the best. Some guys like the screw on. I like the aluminum ladders because I can pick up an extended 28 foot ladder and move it. Fiberglass is just to heavy for me. If you are going to be getting up on ladders there is a lot of good advise to keep you safe. Learn it and follow it. One tip - I tie my extension ladder together after I set it on a house. The idea being if you fall, you only fall one way if it is tied, other wise you fall over and down at the same time. Be safe. The one thing I like about those folding ladders is the shelf to set your tools when working on something. Also your helper can come up the other side to hold stuff. They seem very heavy, and when set straight up, I do not like the way they set up against a wall.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
I have a step stool, a 2 foot high platform, a 6 foot folding ladder, and a 20 foot extension, which actually I need a 30 foot, but would have to store that in my neighbor's garage, vs having the 20 in mine since when collapsed, it can fit across the garage, and comes handy for a stop, that when the antenna on our trailblazer hits it, you know you are far enough in the garage.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Get a 5' ladder for 9' ceilings. It's all you need and anything taller will keep you farther away from the wall you're working on, require more floor space, and increase the chance of hitting your head on the ceiling. Werner and Louisville Ladders are considered the best. Most people would recommend fiberglass these days. Personally, my electrical work on a ladder consists of replacing a light fixture every 10-20 years and I'll just shut off the circuit at the fuse box, double check it at the light switch, and get on my aluminum ladder. Lots of stories about fiberglass cracking.
They only crack, because people leave them on their trucks & vans parked out in the weather, then use them until the sucker falls apart, when they take them off the ladder rack, or when they fall down after the step falls off, then they are stuck having to go through surgery, etc, and possibly never being able to work, due to severe back, leg, hip injuries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.