DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on repiping my house with pex. I figured I might as well add a hot water circulation pump and a water softner at the same time. I am also moving the main shutoff valve next to the water heater.

Right now I just have two pipes for the water heater and I am planning on adding 6 mores pipes. Is it allowed to run 4 pipes between studs?

Door Fixture Gas Font Handle

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Options only. I'm sure there may be a code for it or need an engineers approval. I will go with common sense, don't put hot and cold close together together or you may end up with lukewarm water. If they need clamps, standoffs, etc. make sure to leave enough room to fasten them, and so they don't squeak from expansion. Put fireproof calking around both sides of any holes that penetrate one floor to another, Life Safety Code. Then there is (I think) the one that uses 3/8 Pex one line for each fixture out of a manifold, hot water in half the time. If you are soldering copper wait for the flame to go from blue to green, then back off with the flame that's when you know the temperature is just right to add the solder

But then again I could be wrong.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm planning on repiping my house with pex. I figured I might as well add a hot water circulation pump and a water softner at the same time. I am also moving the main shutoff valve next to the water heater.

Right now I just have two pipes for the water heater and I am planning on adding 6 mores pipes. Is it allowed to run 4 pipes between studs?

View attachment 712833
As long as the pipes are tied off well and protected from hazards there should be no issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts