DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install about 3-1/2 bundles (76 sqft?) of cedar shingles on the gables of small cabin. Is there an easy way to calculate the number of nails I'll need for this? They'll be going into 7/16" OSB so planning on 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" long nails....should the be 5,6, or 7d nails? I have a bunch of 8d is that bad?

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
4d ring shank if you're going to use nails. 3 lbs. should be more than enough. 8d is way to big.
7/16 x 1-1/2 staples is what I'd be using.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a staple gun that large. I'll look at what I have though. Maybe I have one that will work.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
I don't have a staple gun that large. I'll look at what I have though. Maybe I have one that will work.
You can rent for about $30 a day. Rental place should sell individual racks of staples (you won't need anywhere close to a box).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two nails per shingle.
Yeah, that's what I read, but some things said 3 if wider than 5 or 6 inches. Thing is I don't know how many shingles are actually in bundle. Above poster said 3lbs should be enough for just over 3 bundles, so that's what I'll go with.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Yeah, that's what I read, but some things said 3 if wider than 5 or 6 inches. Thing is I don't know how many shingles are actually in bundle. Above poster said 3lbs should be enough for just over 3 bundles, so that's what I'll go with.
Look at the cost between 3 individual 1 pound boxes vs a 5 pound box. You may be better served just buying the 5.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can rent for about $30 a day. Rental place should sell individual racks of staples (you won't need anywhere close to a box).
I'll be doing this over a weekend. It's out of town so 4-5 days I'll be gone. Be cheaper to buy a cheapy.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
Also, there's a lot of waste siding gables. Your 3-1/2 bundle estimate will more likely be closer to 5.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
You need a minimum of an 1-1/4" and the staples MUST be either galvanized or stainless steel. If you're within a few miles of salt water then SS is the way to go.

We are talking about "sidewall shingles" and not "heavy cedar shakes" or "rake shakes"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts