DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I have gas!
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a standard rule of thumb to how many circuits are needed for the 2nd floor of a 2 floor/3 bedroom house.
The 2nd floor of my 1500^2 foot house will have 2 full baths and 3 bedrooms.
My instinct is to put each bedroom on its own 20 amp circuit. The common lighting would be on its own circuit which would include all the smokes in the house. That would be a total of 5 circuits not including the general lighting circuit. Now I'm thinking 5 circuits may be overkill especially considering that the smallest bedroom/office would only be 8x11.
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
I did 2 circuits on my 2nd floor - one for each bedroom
Then 1 for each bathroom
And 1 for lighting
I have another 20a circuit for an in-wall AC

Main reason in case someone wants small AC in the 2nd bedroom
Plus the 2nd bedroom will be my sons
Stereo, TV, computer etc in the future

·
Licensed electrician
13,493 Posts
I don't think you will find too many that regret having excess circuit capacity. You will find those that wish they had more capacity and it is now too expensive or disruptive to add a new circuit. You could run the home run to the panel and terminate it on one breaker. Later if needed you could separate the circuits.

·
I have gas!
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that makes sense., I forgot about the AC. I still might go central, if I can figure out how to install myself, but right now that's off the plate.
I'm so used to my entire house being powered by what seems like 1-5 amp circuit that 5 or 6 circuits to one floor seemed like too much.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Not sure, but you may want to check on the smoke alarms, as I believe they are now supposed to have their own dedicated circuit.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
Not sure, but you may want to check on the smoke alarms, as I believe they are now supposed to have their own dedicated circuit.
I like the idea of sharing it with lights...that way if it trips...you'll notice. At least shared with one commonly-used light. Not sure what the latest NEC says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts