DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy asphalt shingles for my new garage addition that is sheathed with 5/8" plywood. I am going with architecural GAF brand from Home Depot. I already installed the flashing at the peak, the drip and rake edges and the felt paper.
My roof is 20 x 18 with a 2/12 pitch and no obstructions of any kind.
I just want to make sure I get everything I need.
I figure I need to pickup:
13 bundles of shingles
1 bundle of starter course shingles
1 roll of ice barrier
1 bundle of cap shingles
a few tubes of roofing cement just in case
carton of 1-3/4 roofing nails for my Hitachi roofing gun
How does that list look?

·
Registered
938 Posts
11 bundles
1 1/4 roofing nails
1 bundle starters
why do you need ridge? it sounds like you built a lean to roof...
I&W should cover the whole roof with that low pitch
1 roofing cement (if you think you need it)

Just an FYI, you probably could have had someone roof that for you for the price of that gun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
11 bundles
1 1/4 roofing nails
1 bundle starters
why do you need ridge? it sounds like you built a lean to roof...
I&W should cover the whole roof with that low pitch
1 roofing cement (if you think you need it)

Just an FYI, you probably could have had someone roof that for you for the price of that gun.

I need ridge caps because my lean to roof goes to the peak of my existing roof. I already felt papered the roof with 15lb paper. If I install I&W do I put it over the felt?
Regarding the Hitachi gun, I got it used for $80.00.
I tried to get a local roofer to do it but they all want a fortune.
I didn't want to do this part of the job myself. Unfortunately, I have no choice.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I&W is to be put directly on the sheathing.

Obviously, you can do what you want, but don't waste the money on I&W if you aren't going to put it directly on the sheathing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I&W is to be put directly on the sheathing.

Obviously, you can do what you want, but don't waste the money on I&W if you aren't going to put it directly on the sheathing.
Should I only put it on the lower rake edge of the roof? If so, I can always cut back the felt paper and apply it directly to the sheathing.

·
Shut in w/o Home
697 Posts
Should I only put it on the lower rake edge of the roof? If so, I can always cut back the felt paper and apply it directly to the sheathing.

To install shingles on that low of a slope, you need to install either half lapped felt or I&WS on the entire deck. Refer to the installation instructions printed on the wrapper of each bundle. Different brands have different requirements fo the warranty to be in effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How many bundles do I need ?

Quick question from a rank amateur: Does he need I&W if there is no heat source in the garage? Thanks

·
Residential Roofer
803 Posts
Quick question from a rank amateur: Does he need I&W if there is no heat source in the garage? Thanks
On a low slope structure like this OP's garage, the additional underlayment requirements are needed for wind driven, slow running and ponding water issues.
Those issues will occur no matter if the garage is heated or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts