DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new outlet in master bedroom behind the tv. There’s a outlet directly below where I want to add the new one. I was planning on pulling power from there. When I pulled the outlet out there was already two 14/2 cables going in to it. Am I still ok to use this outlet for power? And have three cables going into this one outlet? I’ve heard your not supposed to stab wires into the back of the outlet (which they currently are already). Could I just attach the new 14/2 wire to the screw terminals? And keep the the other 4 wires in the back of the outlet?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Technically, only 1 of the 14/2 cables is coming "in"; the other one and the new one will be going "out".

Typically, the way to handle this would be to put the 3 hots together with a pigtail (a fourth short jumper wire) to power the outlet in the box. same for the neutrals and grounds. I'm not sure how many wires are allowed by code, though.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
The size of the box determines if you can add another cable. if the box is a 3 inch deep box you have enough room to add a third cable.
Back stab pushin connection are a common source of failure. I recommend you connect the wires with a pigtail to the receptacle.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,123 Posts
With 3-14/2 cables, ground and a receptacle, you need a 18 cu in box. All the new work, single gang PVC boxes I have seen are at least 18 cu in. Your fill is fine. I would pigtail the conductors to the receptacle.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.