DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Could you please share an estimated time range of how long it takes to build a 2400 sq ft house in Miami, FL? I mean, from contract signing to CO...
Thanks a lot, :thumbsup:

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
That would be a great question for your builder. The square footage isn't the only variable by a long shot, you've also got the complexity of the build, different lots, materials availability, and on and on and on. Is it custom, or a cookie cutter home in a development?

Just taking a number off the top of my head, I'd say six months, but all sorts of factors could come in to play. Choose a builder and he'll be able to give you more information.

·
Jack of all - master none
1,304 Posts
My last house was a cookie-cutter developer house. Signed the papers in October, Construction began in December, completed in early May. About 6 months of construction, with a lot of material being pre-fab offsite.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
time to construct in Florida has a lot to do with WHEN (time of year) and what the weather is doing .....

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I would guessimate from signing of contract to CO should run about 6 months. We built my parents 2800 s.f. in South Florida in 2 and a half months. That was after working on a shopping center from 7am to 3:30pm. We worked from 4pm on, and on the weekends. We got the typical afternoon thunderstorms pretty much every day.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
True. Now, given that you build in the right time, what's been your experience?

My contractor gave me a window of what and when things would happen,and he hit the nail on the head,i told him i had a rental that i had to be out of by December 31st,and the CO was in hand 2 weeks before,we spent Christmas in our new home,but then everything seemed to fall into place,and i'm sure there's a good chance it could have gone the other way,maybe i just lucked out.

Construction here go's a lot faster here than up north, two days after the slab was poured the CMU's were sitting on the slab waiting for the mason's,and two days after that the mason's were at work,and a week later the walls were up.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
if its a cookie cutter like you say 3 months is all thats needed, if it were a complex custom home with several change orders during the course of construction then 6 months would be right

its nothing for a good framer to put that up in under 2 weeks. the roofer 2 days.. siding 2 weeks.. decks one day maybe 2.. rough in for plumbing, electrical.. heating 2 -3 weeks total.. drywall hanging 4 days,, etc. etc

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
if its a cookie cutter like you say 3 months is all thats needed, if it were a complex custom home with several change orders during the course of construction then 6 months would be right

its nothing for a good framer to put that up in under 2 weeks. the roofer 2 days.. siding 2 weeks.. decks one day maybe 2.. rough in for plumbing, electrical.. heating 2 -3 weeks total.. drywall hanging 4 days,, etc. etc

The same house i had built would take at least 6 months and maybe more,if it was built anywhere up north.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
like i said, it depends on the builder. some crews are extremely efficient at things others take their time to ensure everything is extremely accurate.. a cookie cutter shouldnt take any time at all where as a custom will take longer. it all depends on the design.. the homeowner and the guys building it,

i know crews that can build you a house in 10 weeks. .then i know other crews that would take 10 months to build the EXACT same house

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
like i said, it depends on the builder. some crews are extremely efficient at things others take their time to ensure everything is extremely accurate.. a cookie cutter shouldnt take any time at all where as a custom will take longer. it all depends on the design.. the homeowner and the guys building it,

i know crews that can build you a house in 10 weeks. .then i know other crews that would take 10 months to build the EXACT same house

Yes your right,some good builders and some bad,crews the same way, all you can do is try and research as much as you can,before choosing one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts