DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a steel fence I have been waiting to repaint for some time. But I am in south Florida and it seems to be thunderstorms in the afternoon every day and forecast shows it will stay that way for the forseeable future.

I know it says it takes 24 hours to fully cure. I tested it on a piece of steel in my garage and it seems to be dry to touch in about an hour. Does it mean if it is rained on after an hour it is fine or will it be a disaster?

·
retired painter
9,924 Posts
Once the oil paint is applied nothing short of a gully washer will take the paint off. However moisture can alter the sheen .... but that is an easy fix; scuff sand and recoat. It usually takes oil base enamel 72 hrs to cure.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it's ok to apply the paint in the morning say at 8am and be done by 10, if it rains at 2pm it's OK?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The label should have two items: dry to touch, and recoat time. Rain shouldn't bother it after the dry to touch time. Personal experience: adhere to the recoat time. Bad things happen if you recoat too soon.

·
retired painter
9,924 Posts
If it rains on uncured oil base paint it likely won't hurt the paint other than appearance. Moisture can take some of the sheen out of the paint - usually unevenly. The longer it has to dry the better.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I rarely do oil based paint, this is probably the first time. The paint I poured into a small paint holder seems to thicken really fast, may be 15 minutes and the paint is visibly thicker to apply. What is the trick? Do I add thinner to the paint and dip the brush periodically in thinner if I am going to be painting for say 6 hours?

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Thanks.

I rarely do oil based paint, this is probably the first time. The paint I poured into a small paint holder seems to thicken really fast, may be 15 minutes and the paint is visibly thicker to apply. What is the trick? Do I add thinner to the paint and dip the brush periodically in thinner if I am going to be painting for say 6 hours?
Keep the main can covered, and only pour into a small container what you can paint for the next 30 minutes or so. Dipping the brush in and out of the small container will keep the paint from thickening or skimming over.

·
retired painter
9,924 Posts
... and a lot depends on the painting conditions. It's not uncommon to need to thin paint to keep it working well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts