DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have 2 plastic dome skylights, installed in 1998. About 24"x48". Was washing one with soap/brush and c-c-c-r-a-c-k!!. A few spider line cracks suddenly formed. Guess they have had it with the sun's uv rays, right?

So, wondering, since roofers usually replace these items, what is your opinion as to when one should be replaced?

Oh- the spider line cracks dont leak water yet, for the record.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
About 15 years is the point where the plastic starts to fail----Velux makes custom sized replacement domes----if you don't want to change out the curb--

·
Registered
913 Posts
If its a curb mount you can drop a 2x4 glass curb mount right on the existing curb, they run less than $200 here. Big upgrade over the plastic. If its a self flashing piece of junk, its a bit more work.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
There all going to to fail at some point.
Now's the time to replace with a real Velex skylight and have it last a couple of life times.
First thing I think when I see a dome sky light is mobil home or someone cheaped out.
If If I'm buying a home it's how much is it going to cost to replace it with a real sky light.

·
JOATMON
17,222 Posts
There all going to to fail at some point.
Now's the time to replace with a real Velex skylight and have it last a couple of life times.
First thing I think when I see a dome sky light is mobil home or someone cheaped out.
If If I'm buying a home it's how much is it going to cost to replace it with a real sky light.
Pretty accurate......inlaws had one....now it's a velux.....glass.

The only issue for us is that it has to be tempered glass and rated for CA....earthquakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.