DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Wow, so after like 1 minute I can run water through the connection I just made?

What about pressure on the fitting? Like how long until I can treat it like a fitting thats been there for a year?
As soon as you put water in it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Im done. One connection was squirting water and the other had a stream running down it. I did a bunch of researching before trying and I still couldnt get it so Im just going to pay someone to put some copper to pvc fittings on and go with pvc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not related but still funny anyway.Yesterday i was doing some pluming for a new toilet nile and just finished soldering the cap on the end of the toilet line and forgot to wait till it to cool and turned the supply on while on my knees and the cap shot right off like a bullet and hit me square in the balls.Hurt like hell but i learned from that one.I usually use a wet rag to wipe every joint i make right after i solder it.It cools it down and helps the pipes from turning green in time.

·
Premium Member
12,085 Posts
Well Im done. One connection was squirting water and the other had a stream running down it. I did a bunch of researching before trying and I still couldnt get it so Im just going to pay someone to put some copper to pvc fittings on and go with pvc.
The choice is yours if you want to pay someone, but PVC is not to be used inside a house on domestic water. Use CPVC or PEX, or copper and push fit fittings

·
221 Posts
Not related but still funny anyway.Yesterday i was doing some pluming for a new toilet nile and just finished soldering the cap on the end of the toilet line and forgot to wait till it to cool and turned the supply on while on my knees and the cap shot right off like a bullet and hit me square in the balls.Hurt like hell but i learned from that one.I usually use a wet rag to wipe every joint i make right after i solder it.It cools it down and helps the pipes from turning green in time.
I had to laugh. This is a lot funnier when it happens to someone else. :laughing:

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Wow, so after like 1 minute I can run water through the connection I just made?

What about pressure on the fitting? Like how long until I can treat it like a fitting thats been there for a year?
Umm yes, it is within a minute, that you can turn back on the water. It will be as good as any soldered connection, that is a year, two, five, twenty, etc., as long as the person that does it properly knows how to sweat a joint properly.

·
Architectural Sculptor
766 Posts
With copper soldering, the metal has to be good and CLEAN inside and out where the solder goes, and enough flux used to coat it. If you got leaks like that either there were spots that didn't get clean enough, were not coated with flux, or you could have just gotten it too hot and started boiling the solder, or not hot enough.
It's an art and takes practice, but if you do the above properly, and use good solder not cheap stuff, you heat the joint not the stick of solder, and then let the heat of the pipe melt the solder when it contacts it, not the flame of the torch, and let the solder flow in the join till it stops, and then take the torch away and don't disturb the pipe for a couple of minutes while it cools.

Maybe a youtube video will help you, it is difficult to tell someone how via text.
Oh, and if this is a water pipe, you can't use lead solder any more, you need to use the lead-free solder which is mostly tin $$

·
Architectural Sculptor
766 Posts
Ty for clearing this up for me i allways thought the flux helped it turn green faster when not wiped.
The flux like "No Korrode" is an acid, you really want to completely wipe it OFF and get rid of any residue, you don't really want the pipe to turn green- it will if you leave a residue on it or the pipe gets wet on the outside or is exposed to the weather it turns green the same as copper gutters and roofs do. If it happens it happens, but you dont want to force it to happen by leaving flux residue all over.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts