DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dumb switch. Installed a sonoff zigbee mini behind the switch to make it smart to control an LED light in the hallway.
Gadget Font Transparency Titanium Multimedia

Everything was working fine till the zigbee went offline. Verified the power somehow went from 120v ac down to 3v ac. Went ahead and found another floor where I can install this zig mini. Verified this dumb switch is getting 120v ac and it also dips to 3v ac after about 5 weeks. Obviously I can't even manually turn on the light with 3v ac. Any idea what's going on???
the breaker works fine in the basement. it is not sitting in the middle position, definitely in the On position.

1,765 Posts
Just for future knowledge, breakers can trip internally and not necessarily move the handle to the middle position. Move the handle firmly to the off position and then firmly back to the on position.

If your unit has tripped two different breakers it is likely the unit that is at fault.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i removed the sonoff. measured 3v ac at the hot and neutral.
made sure the breaker is On by flipping it to Off and back On. when doing so, other lights on the same circuit went off and on. so that's the weird part...

· Naildriver
23,294 Posts
So with the power off, what did you find with regards to the receptacles you pulled from the boxes? They are not going to inspect themselves.

· Registered
2,749 Posts
measured 3v ac at the hot and neutral
What are you using to measure the voltage? Digital meters have a high impedance input and you could be reading "ghost voltage". A meter with a moving needle may give different results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts