DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am happy to have found this forum and this is my first post!
I got some quotes from Masons and decided to expand my skills. So far I dug my footing and had it filled with concrete. How does my block look, is it ready to lay the bricks?
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The right side looks lower then the left by about 1"-1 1/2".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi,
lol, I knew enough to use a level so I know each block and overall it is level.
You are probably seeing the ground is definitely higher on one side.
I was wondering more if I needed to fill in the blocks before laying the brick and limestone, and any tips on where to start laying the bricks?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
hi,
lol, I knew enough to use a level so I know each block and overall it is level.
You are probably seeing the ground is definitely higher on one side.
I was wondering more if I needed to fill in the blocks before laying the brick and limestone, and any tips on where to start laying the bricks?
I was looking at the row of bricks under the door. The right side blocks are lower. Any reason you didn't fill in the vertical joints between many of the blocks?

·
Super Moderator
22,435 Posts
Why no mortar between the blocks to hold them together?

What's going to hold the bricks on the outside edge. I see brick ties but I don't see a brick ledge to start the bricks on. Are they going to be hanging in the air?

I agree the right side is lower. I see no gap under the sill course on the left but a half a brick on the right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks fellas, you are right about the gap on the top of the landing but it looks worse somehow in the pictures.
I did catch that I need more mortar in the vertical joints, good catch thanks!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
the blocks need to be filled, how are the brick going to run, are they tread brick?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts