DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm re-doing parts of the 60 year old plumbing in my house, and decided to go with Uponor/Wirsbo Pex A. But after working with it for a while, it seems nearly impossible to install it without making scratches in it. Even the specially made suspension clips made for PEX can make deep scratches if you slide tubing through them at anything other than a perfectly straight angle.

But supposedly scratches, over time, can become leaks.

I know lots of install and refits are using PEX now, and I suspect most installers aren't being as careful as I am, so maybe the scratches are considered acceptable?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Dave,

The ear type hangers should be installed so they are loose. When I first installed my Uponor PEX system, I had screwed both ears to the supports so they just fit on the tubing. On a later inspection, I noticed that the red coating was being scratched off. Then it dawned on me that the tubing expands in circumference as well as in length. So I went back and re-screwed one ear of every hanger to make the hangers very loose around the tubing.

Also realize that ALL pex tubing is made in the white color. The blue and red colors are coatings on the pex so they can be scratched off easily.

I plan to do periodic inspections to insure that deep scratches are not being formed by the hanger supports. But I figured that with 30 years of PEX installations in Europe, the PEX approved hangers must be OK. Every support for all of my PEX tubing are only PEX approved supports.

HRG

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I did my whole house in Wirsbo PEX about 8 years ago, and I did not have scratch problems. I also used a wide range of hangers, most of which were not specifically designed for pex (i.e. copper pipe hangers, some home made hangers made from plastic zip ties). I definitely concur that the PEX will expand and contract with water temperature, so the supports need to be loose. You also need to overdrill holes through wood so the PEX does not abrade when you push it through.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
But I figured that with 30 years of PEX installations in Europe, the PEX approved hangers must be OK.
I thought the 30 years of pex installation in Europe consisted only of radiant floor systems under concrete slabs. . . :huh:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
" You shouldn’t use supports that are too small or can cut, scratch or in any way damage the tubing. Since PEX tubing expands and contacts when water temperature changes, it should be able to easily move in its support. It is also necessary to inspect all of the supports to make sure that there are no sharp edges that could damage the tubing."
http://www.pexuniverse.com/providing-proper-support-long-runs-pex-tubing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts