DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37,184 Posts
I drill two over sized holes at an angle and strip the insulation off the wire about 6", twist them together and feed it through. May need to add nailing plates.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am tying to figure out how to post drawing from paint, simple drawing. it won't up load to big, so it say.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hole in center of ceiling, pulling wire to wall then down the wall to hole in the wall for say a switch. Don’t want to make a big hole. So how do we get thru the top plate?

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
You need a hole just large enough in the wall to drill a hole through the top plate I think it's 1-1/4 from the edge. I use a flexible extension for my spade bits and it works great. Then I work my fish tape through the wall into the ceiling using the hole you used to drill through you will need to use a coat hanger or fingers to line the fish tape up with your hole. Then you may also need another hole in the ceiling near the wall to hook onto your fish tape to get the fish tape going the direction you want.

If the wall in insulated you can use a thin piece of wood or something to push it out of your way so you can drill. A helper comes in handy.

·
retired elect/hvac/plumb
2,921 Posts
Is the wall open or dry walled? :)

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
When we gutted our bath, I took a crowbar, pried the corner far enough that my son could get his fingers back there to push through the other side. It took some trust. Even with a coat hanger, it is hard to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts