DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ridge board does not need support but would need a ceiling.
A ridge beam would have more supports in the building.
More likely it would be built with trusses.
This particular building will not use trusses. It's cathedral conventional framing.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This particular building will not use trusses. It's cathedral conventional framing.
what is the measurement?
First floor = 64' x 46'8" living area with 22' x 46'8" garage on side.

Second floor = 64' x 46'8" living area.

There are gables over the garage, over the opposite end, and where the garage meets the living area.

·
retired framer
39,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With that size you would need a ridge beam and purlins with support to the ground every so many feet thru the building or a timber frame ever so many feet to support it all.
Could I avoid this if I didn't do cathedral and had ceiling joists there?

·
DIY Your Own Air Bed
212 Posts
If you want cathedral look and don't mind collar ties... use them. Those are placed within bottom third of roof height and then you can use ridge board.

·
retired framer
39,988 Posts
You would like still need one or two bearing walls to span 47 ft and your rafters would be close to 30 ft so likely end up with engineered I joist ceiling and rafters. I think you would find trusses cheaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You would like still need one or two bearing walls to span 47 ft and your rafters would be close to 30 ft so likely end up with engineered I joist ceiling and rafters. I think you would find trusses cheaper.
With trusses, will any of the interior walls have to be load-bearing?

·
retired framer
39,988 Posts
With trusses, will any of the interior walls have to be load-bearing?
No, but you would want to sit down and discuss it with a truss company designer.
If you had some rooms that would have a ceiling, then you would want regular trusses over those rooms. They can build almost anything you can dream up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts