DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I also have two wires from the button that connect to two of these screws? I assume not. I checked the button wires for voltage and got a positive reading, so the button is getting power from somewhere. The transformer is inside the wall, so I can access it without cutting a hole. Where is the button getting power? It doesn't connect to the transformer does it?

· Registered
348 Posts
You should have a pair of wires from the button as well, they would connect to one of the three screws on the upper left, and to the appropriate (or desired) screw on the right, thus completing the circuit and ringing the bell. Photos of your wiring setup would help.

And what do you mean by a positive reading? If using a digital meter, you may be getting phantom voltage.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My voltage tester looks like a fat pen. The tip flashes red and beeps when it's placed near the voltage souce.

Wouldn't the path be : a wire from the button goes to "com" on the doorbell, second wire from the button goes to the transformer, another wire from the transformer goes to "trans" on the doorbell, making a complete circuit with only two wires coming out of the wall and connecting to the doorbell?

It appears there is already a path on the "circuit board" of the doorbell between "com" and one side of each of the button locations. There is also a second screw for each of the doorbell locations. I tried using a piece of wire to jump between the two screws for the front door location thinkng that would complete a circuit and make the button work, but it didn't help.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I've seen these videos. But those doorbells have terminals for trans and the button position. Mine has trans, com, and two screws for each of the button position. In addition there is a piece of metal on one of the front door screws that extends back behind the black rectangle on the right. What is up with that? I've tried to find a manual or wiring diagram for the doorbell, Sears model 746.14, but no luck so far.

· Registered
348 Posts
I attached an image of how the wiring should be, pardon my 2nd grade artistic level... That is the photo with the blue overlay

If you don't have a pair of wires from the doorbell and a pair for the transformer, then you would wire one lead from your transformer to "trans", the other lead will attach to your transformer, as well as to "com", then the lead coming back from the button will attach to your desired doorbell sound. This is the photo with the purple overlay.

Attachments

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think either of these works for my setup. The one with blue wires shows four wires going to the doorbell. The one with purple wires shows three wires going to the doorbell. I have two wires total. The doorbell wiring videos on Youtube show setups with two wires going to the doorbell. Unless I'm missing something about your diagrams.

I attached an image of how the wiring should be, pardon my 2nd grade artistic level... That is the photo with the blue overlay

If you don't have a pair of wires from the doorbell and a pair for the transformer, then you would wire one lead from your transformer to "trans", the other lead will attach to your transformer, as well as to "com", then the lead coming back from the button will attach to your desired doorbell sound. This is the photo with the purple overlay.

· Registered
1,768 Posts
I don't think either of these works for my setup. The one with blue wires shows four wires going to the doorbell. The one with purple wires shows three wires going to the doorbell. I have two wires total. The doorbell wiring videos on Youtube show setups with two wires going to the doorbell. Unless I'm missing something about your diagrams.

If you only have two wires, that suggests that the transformer is wired in series with the one button. Connect one wire to TRANS and the other to the FRONT terminal and see if that works. If not, try COM and FRONT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.