DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an air conditioner that has I believe 6-15 plug. I will need to buy a recep for the plug and a box but what I want to do is use 2 different 110 circuits in my house to make the 220 for the air conditioner to plug in. How do i wire this up? It will just be a temporary setup and only used when needed. in the future I will have a dedicated put in but would like to have it running tomorrow since it will be 105 degrees here. any help will be appreciated. They do sell a corded setup like this but at $160 and shipping time I don't want to bother.

·
Registered
480 Posts
what size breaker you need?it needs to be a 2-pole.a 6-15 is 15 amp.you can use 14-2/wground.black wire to one side of breaker,white to other side of breaker.ground to ground buss.wire the recp black to one side white to other term.ground to ground term.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
Is the current receptacle location a dedicated individual circuit or are there other receptacles on the same circuit.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Is the current receptacle location a dedicated individual circuit or are there other receptacles on the same circuit.
I think the OP is trying to use the hots from two different circuits to create a 240 volt receptacle or circuit.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
If you want a temporary setup, run a Romex cable from the panel (black and white connected to a double wide double breaker) on the surface stapled to rafters and up the stairs stapled to baseboards and up and around doorways to get to where the air conditioner is. Put a surface mount box with the 240 volt receptacle near the air conditioner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want a temporary setup, run a Romex cable from the panel (black and white connected to a double wide double breaker) on the surface stapled to rafters and up the stairs stapled to baseboards and up and around doorways to get to where the air conditioner is. Put a surface mount box with the 240 volt receptacle near the air conditioner.

Thanks allen and everybody else that replied. have to run in morning to get wire. didn't want to but figured this was the way to go. at least now single breaker will pop if it needs to. thanks.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Easy way, would be to have an electrician run two circuits for where the 220vac will be used. Otherwise, using a step up transformer would not be the best, especially in homes, there is more than one outlet fed from the breaker. I can do it with my home, because all outlets run to a junction box under each room for those outlets, so swapping for a 220vac circuit is not that hard for me. For you, it means pulling some romex.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was just looking at the box. a lot of boxes have no room but this one is huge with lots of room so should be easy to put in. floor joists are all exposed so going to be easy to run the wire plus want outlet next to cold air return in floor board on next level so running wire will be easy. curious what wire gauge I should be using ...12? ac is only 6 amps supposedly.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Oddly enough it IS UL listed.....go figure.
The trick is to find two circuits on opposite legs of the panel close enough together to use that device. Oh yeah, and don't trip over the cord.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
I was just looking at the box. a lot of boxes have no room but this one is huge with lots of room so should be easy to put in. floor joists are all exposed so going to be easy to run the wire plus want outlet next to cold air return in floor board on next level so running wire will be easy. curious what wire gauge I should be using ...12? ac is only 6 amps supposedly.
14 gage will be fine.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
The trick is to find two circuits on opposite legs of the panel close enough together to use that device. Oh yeah, and don't trip over the cord.
Won't work on GFCI and AFCI protected circuits.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Want to let everybody know thanks for everything. Everything went easy and cooling as I type this. Suppose to be heat index of 110 now today and glad it's working. wire and parts came to $35 so not bad. thanks again really appreciated everybody's input.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Even thought I didn't contribute, merely commented, I appreciate hearing a thank you rather than a f*** you from another member. I'm sure those who gave actual advice will agree. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even thought I didn't contribute, merely commented, I appreciate hearing a thank you rather than a f*** you from another member. I'm sure those who gave actual advice will agree. Glad it worked out for you.

Np your welcome. I see a lot of people jump on forums ask a q then disapear This was the first time I came across this site and think I will be around for awhile. There's a lot of different things on here I need to learn. ended up switching a different lp gas valve on a water heater last week from watching youtube videos. If I would of found this place first I'm sure I would of learned how to do it a little faster.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
There's a wealth of information here, choose wisely and you will be glad you came here.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Oddly enough it IS UL listed.....go figure.
THat gadget with one box with receptacles in it and two 120 volt cord and plug sets coming out of it is UL listed?

If you use that gadget and one of the 120 volt plugs gets pulled out of its receptacle while the 240 volt appliance is still plugged in and turned on then one exposed prong of the plug that pulled out will be live.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts