DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having serious problem with my power supply (Computer). I had to return my old one (it fried my graphics card and motherboard), which was brand new.

Now that I have a new one (corsair AX860), there is still a buzz noise. And it's not a fan related problem, because you can turn it off.

Also, my power supply is connected to an UPS Cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD.

I'm thinking it's because my house has an electrical problem.

First of all, I'm currently in Mexico, which in reality, my input voltage (outlet) ranges from 130 to 133 volts (that's 10-13 more volts than standard in US 120 volts). This reading comes from 2 different UPS, so it's pretty accurate.

Second, the electrician was not a professional, so there is a 50% that the outlet is reversed (polarity).

Third, the outlet is not properly grounded. There is just a nail inside the wall.

My first question is: What do I need to test my outlet to see if it's reversed and/or grounded? Do I need a multimeter or a receptable tester?

My second question is: If I connect my UPS cyberpower to a regulator, will that solve the 130-133 volt problem and get a constant 120 volts?

My third and last question is: Maybe I was just very unlucky and got a bad power supply again? Even with all the problems my outlet has, maybe the power supply is at fault here?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I've been having serious problem with my power supply (Computer). I had to return my old one (it fried my graphics card and motherboard), which was brand new.

Now that I have a new one (corsair AX860), there is still a buzz noise. And it's not a fan related problem, because you can turn it off.

Also, my power supply is connected to an UPS Cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD.

I'm thinking it's because my house has an electrical problem.

First of all, I'm currently in Mexico, which in reality, my input voltage (outlet) ranges from 130 to 133 volts (that's 10-13 more volts than standard in US 120 volts). This reading comes from 2 different UPS, so it's pretty accurate.

Second, the electrician was not a professional, so there is a 50% that the outlet is reversed (polarity).

Third, the outlet is not properly grounded. There is just a nail inside the wall.

My first question is: What do I need to test my outlet to see if it's reversed and/or grounded? Do I need a multimeter or a receptable tester?

My second question is: If I connect my UPS cyberpower to a regulator, will that solve the 130-133 volt problem and get a constant 120 volts?

My third and last question is: Maybe I was just very unlucky and got a bad power supply again? Even with all the problems my outlet has, maybe the power supply is at fault here?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance.
1 - A recepticule tester will suffice for a novice !
2 - Maybe ! some UPS's also have a high voltage cut out.
read your user manual, or researce on line.
3 - It's remotely possable ! but I would guess low chance,
it's more likely dirty or high power which is upsetting the
electronics in the UPS.

If it's noise or crap on the line, then a noise filter could
help, but if it's just because it's high, then it won't help.
A "Bucking transformer" will help if its high, or find a UPS
that can cope with the higher line voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts