DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right above the vinyl floor is the baseboard. This is where the ants invade my home.

Where the white board meets the vinyl fake-wood looking floor is where the ants are getting in. What material should I use to inconspicuously seal it? Someday I will want to remove the baseboards. I want something that will last a while. Please tell me if I will have to get a new baseboard when I re-do the flooring because that is acceptable. I am mostly concerned about a low maintenance solution. I may mop the vinyl floor. I want the seal to last many moppings. Caulk I think would be too conspicuous, but maybe if I cut a very small hole, it could work. I coat of paint an the juncture of the floor and white baseboard would work. I can barely see the crack.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
There is no seal against ants, but you can repel them, and let them know that they must find another place to hang out.
Start with Boric acid powder, which is an excellent repellent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put an arrow and a black line where the points of entry are (in the picture). Boric acid powder would need to be poured out after every time I mop the floor. I tend to think sealing the floor with the baseboard would work.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,969 Posts
If you caulk this particular gap, they will just find a different one. To get rid of ants, first clean up their source of food as much as you can see, by following them to the end of their trail. If they are just the scout ants so far, they will eventually find something somewhere. So kill them and this route with liquid bug spray. Then make sure your grade is minimum 4" below your siding, and spray along the outside of house. Any colonies near the house use the powder/pellets to eliminate them.

·
Red Seal Electrician
1,033 Posts
If you caulk this particular gap, they will just find a different one.
I'm sure its within their ability...

... but I have successfully stopped ants with caulking on multiple occasions. Usually paintable latex caulk, but also silicone or polyurethane if outside or wet areas. Or spray foam for large gaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.