DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 zone hydronic radiant floor heating system in my Park City home and I am only there half of the winter. I don't want to freeze the system but I am tired of the huge gas bills from running all zones all winter long keeping temps at 70 degrees. Any suggestions? Can I turn non-essential zones off completely? Upper levels? Thanks

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Why do you keep it at 70 if you aren't there?
I used to keep my house at 52
I turned the heat on when home only until I had a wood fire going

·
Registered
235 Posts
First thing would be setting the heat at 50 degrees while you are away versus 70 - that will save a few bucks. I would be hesitant to turn off zones completely. There could be plumbing pipes in walls that would be subject to freezing. I wouldn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I don't know if you have an alarm on this property, but if you do it would be a good idea to add a few upgrades. A "low temperature" module to let you know if the heating plant malfunctions and a "Water bug" that lets you know if there's a leak. There are other devices that will turn off the water at the main if one of the sensors come in contact with water. The one I used was the, "Water Cop". There are five sensors around the house. If one comes into contact with water, it shuts the water off at the main. It will minimize any water damage due to plumbing leaks.
These were put into a weekend/vacation house after the pipes froze and caused $93,000 in damage to one of my customers' houses.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts