DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bulb is this and how do I safely remove it?

Hello, I have an overhead light fixture that has an unusual bulb in it. When it comes time to replace it I'd like to know how to remove it. I can see that it says E11, 130V, 100W but it doesn't look like the ones I see online. It is clear and I don't remember it being threaded. I made a drawing and the bottom looks like a single, rectangular prong with what may be described as 2 wings opposite each other above the prong. It narrows to a rounded point at the top. I believe this type of bulb should not be handled by the glass. It has lasted probably 10 years already. Can you possibly tell me how to remove it for replacement? Thank you.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Any E11 I see is screwed in.
Wear gloves so not to get cut if it breaks and not to create hot spots when installing.

Reactions: maintenanceman2

·
Super Moderator
7,971 Posts
Hello, I have an overhead light fixture that has an unusual bulb in it. When it comes time to replace it I'd like to know how to remove it. I can see that it says E11, 130V, 100W but it doesn't look like the ones I see online. It is clear and I don't remember it being threaded. I made a drawing and the bottom looks like a single, rectangular prong with what may be described as 2 wings opposite each other above the prong. It narrows to a rounded point at the top. I believe this type of bulb should not be handled by the glass. It has lasted probably 10 years already. Can you possibly tell me how to remove it for replacement? Thank you.
Using gloves, they usually just unscrew as Joe said. Got a picture? Is it something like this; Thanks.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,356 Posts
E11 is a screw base lamp. Google "E11 130v 100w" and you get dozens of choices. Unscrew it with a rag.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
here is a diagram of a lot of various lamp base configurations. As you can see and as rjniles stated, an E11 is a screw base lamp.

and you are correct; you should not handle a halogen lamp with a bare hand. I would suggest not using a rag either as there are often oils either from use or manufacturing in cloth. I use the bag they come in to install them. Since you would be removing a burned out lamp, it doesn't make any difference if you touch that one or not.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
I believe this type of bulb should not be handled by the glass.
It's generally not glass, but quartz ( fused silica).

You can handle the dead ones without precautions. The good ones, you are trying not to leave skin oils on them, which can create a hot spot on the quartz, leading to rapid failure. So handle with a clean rag or clean cotton gloves, etc.

If you make accidental contact, wipe with alcohol and let it air dry before energizing.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
It's generally not glass, but quartz ( fused silica).

You can handle the dead ones without precautions. The good ones, you are trying not to leave skin oils on them, which can create a hot spot on the quartz, leading to rapid failure. So handle with a clean rag or clean cotton gloves, etc.

If you make accidental contact, wipe with alcohol and let it air dry before energizing.
it is quartz glass

btw; wanna know what glass (regular soda-lime glass) is made of?

hint; silica (but it has additives that quartz glass doesn't)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Using gloves, they usually just unscrew as Joe said. Got a picture? Is it something like this;
The bulb finally burned out so I took off the diffuser and on a ladder got a good look at the interior of the fixture. I was wrong. The bulb looks exactly like the photo you provided and it unscrewed. I have a follow-up question. The bulb says "E11 130V 100W" on it. The fixture says "E27273 TIEN-JEN 250V 500W E-11" on it. The light switch is standard ON/OFF (not dimmable). Do I need to find a 130V E-11 100 watt replacement bulb or can it be 120V? Also, must the replacement bulb state not/non dimmable? Thanks so much for your advice.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The bulb finally burned out so I took off the diffuser and on a ladder got a good look at the interior of the fixture. I was wrong. It did unscrew but now I have a follow-up question. The bulb says "E11 130V 100W" on it. The fixture says "E27273 TIEN-JEN 250V 500W E-11" on it. The light switch is standard ON/OFF (not dimmable). Do I need to find a 130V E-11 100 watt replacement bulb or can it be 120V? Also, must the replacement bulb state not/non dimmable? Thanks so much for your advice.
130v bulbs are just bulbs that are made for higher voltages so they last longer on 120v. But they are dimmer, browner, and are more inefficient.
Any 120v halogen bulb with an E11 base within the max wattage should work.

·
Super Moderator
7,971 Posts
Wow. It lasted almost another 2 years. :vs_bulb:

Take the burnt out bulb with you to any big box store and match it up. Most are 120/130v anyway. Anyone in the lighting department should be able to help you out if needed. If no luck, go to a local lighting store.

If you are going to be using a dimmer switch, you will need one that says dimable.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That is a incandescent bulb similar to millions of lamps used in theater light for the past 60 years. It is definetly dimmable . The reason for the long enclosure is so the filament sits in the focal point of the reflector

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just tried 2 new TopStar Type JD 100W 120V E-11 Tungsten Halogen lamps in the light fixture and neither work. Is it perhaps the light fixture itself that is no good? Thanks.
That's weird. Could be you didn't screw it in all the way or something, or could be the fixture is damaged. Check the socket for corrosion.

Are you sure the old bulb had failed? Was the filament broken? Because if not, then it could've been a failure elsewhere.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,356 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.