DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to recess my Honeywell Ademco 1361 Transformer in a new 2 gang electrical in wall box. Can anyone recommend an electrical box large enough to accommodate the transformer? The Transformer has a mounting screw that
uses the plate screw hole on the duplex recepticle which means I require a larger than normal box

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really don't want to do that as the transformer needs to dissipate the heat it generates, and being buried in a junction box doesn't allow that.
Thanks for the reply. Understand I need to dissipate heat generated by the transformer. The original install is a surface mount on the ceiling of my garage.
(see attached) It's quite ugly, and the transformer is always buzzing which drives me crazy. I'm not suggesting enclosing the transformer in a box. I was proposing to install a recessed 2 gang box in lieu of the surface mount so the install would look more professional, less noisy, and less visible, yet still remain open for heat exchange.

Do you have any suggestions that might work better?

Attachments

· Registered
7,378 Posts
Any ideas?
What is above the garage? Is that attic or living space.
I suspect the new one won't be noisy.
and if you really don't like it's appearance you can move it by extending the wire.
If you are creative you could probably devise a mounting space above the opener if you really want to put it out of sight.
But enclosing it is a sure way to shorten its life.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attic is above garage. It get's very hot, so that would not work,

Ok, Sound like ugly is what I have to live with. Reading between the lines....I certainly don't want to violate NEC or create a hazard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.