DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How?; do i paint baseboards/ carpeted

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
I have dark red carpet in our hallways. How do i keep the paint on just the baseboards........... and not on the carpet.I mean is there a Better way to do this than ?..........well any ways better than me spilling white paint on the carpet:eek:. I was thinking "frog tape" ?Any suggestions.i am grateful for. bob s

#7 · (Edited)
I tried the taping way. Was not the way to do it! i have to go back now...with a red or burgundy felt tip pen. and color in the white spots Chrisn idea wasn't good the tape relaxes and the paint moves to the carpet.OOOOHHH WELLL!!!:whistling2: jmo

PS I have a 18"{ wallpaper smoother] .i think may do the trick.has a plastic handle on the backside of the tin.or whaever it wil.work great...nothins perfect in this area of trim painting bob s

#9 ·
Slide something under the base such as a knife or cardboard or paper... Then paint. If you get paint on the carpet don't touch it. The surface tension in the paint should keep it from soaking into the carpet. Then you just clean it off the top.

Why are you painting the carpet? Use some water and mild scrubbing action to remove it.

#10 ·
I've used a scrap piece of vinyl siding.

Cut the nailer off and you have a nice, LONG, piece that can slip under the baseboard, so you don't have to keep moving it as you go.

Paint, paint, paint, slide it along as far as needed, paint, paint, paint, then pull the piece of vinyl out, take it outside and clean it off with a garden hose (if using water base paint) so it's ready for the next area.

Works a LOT better than a drywall taping knife, wallpaper knife, etc, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.