DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to lay 1/4" hardie board and tried to use a 1/2" tooth trowel for the thinset, so it would give me another 1/4" thickness and total 1/2" underlayment. So when I add the 1/8" Click Lock Vinyl tile it would meet up with the 5/8" thick Laminate flooring next to it. But when I went to do it, it was taking way too much thinset. 1/2 a bag for less than a 3 x 5 sheet. I've got 12 sheets of hardie board. I also put down little pieces of the 1/4 hardie board scattered under the sheets to help keep it level.

Is there a better way to achieve my need of a 5/8" finished height?

Oh please say yes!
In Chaska Minnesota

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: How do I match 4mm Click Lock LVT height to 5/8" laminate floor on Concret slab

I pulled up the hardie board I put down, thinking there must be a better way.

This is a grade level slab floor in a town house. No outside walls anywhere near this kitchen floor. Is there any product or method that I can use on concrete in these conditions to bring me up 1/2 to 5/8ths inch so I can put 4mm click-lock vinyl 12"x24" tiles on it, for a total height of 5/8ths to 3/4"?

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,814 Posts
Re: How do I match 4mm Click Lock LVT height to 5/8" laminate floor on Concret slab

1/2" Hardie til backer is actually 0.42" thick. Install with a full bed of thinset. Should be right at 1/2".

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kirksaaa

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

The difference in height without the underlayment is only a little more than 3/8". Just use a transition strip that matches your laminate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you so much to rjniles and BIG Johnson for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it. Now I gotta think about which way to go.
Have a great night guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts