DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing I will need to add some type of concrete sill to the bottom of this door. It was originally a window and the previous owner just cut down the block to add the door way. The inside foundation is slab. Do I need to add a concrete sill?

If so, I have a few questions. I'm assuming that I would need to cut the block down more (how thick should the sill be 4inches???). I would then add rebar and then fill it. I would make the form by just screwing a piece of wood to the block. The hollow block wall goes down about another 2 feet. Do you think I can do this by hand mixing concrete?

· Registered
37,499 Posts
Got a real mess on your hands with no quick easy way to fix this right.
Unless that decking is for an enclosed porch it never ever should have been installed that close to the threshold!
It should have been A bare minimum of 2" lower to allow for proper flashing of the door.
With the decking installed in that direction it would allow air, water, and bugs an easy way in.
Your missing a foundation plate, and the doors threshold, that that would make me think someone did not want to take the time to reframe the rough opening with a higher header.
I had to deal with one last week with this exact same issue.
It was a block house with a concrete, rebar reinforced header so they had just cut the door off 5" and set the threshold on top of the old busted out crooked block.
Termites had came right through the block into the studs, the threshold leaked air like crazy.
I used 1" foam cut to fit in the voids in the block and tapped them into the top of the block below to act as form and filled the voids with concrete.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a real mess on your hands with no quick easy way to fix this right.
Unless that decking is for an enclosed porch it never ever should have been installed that close to the threshold!
It should have been A bare minimum of 2" lower to allow for proper flashing of the door.
With the decking installed in that direction it would allow air, water, and bugs an easy way in.
Your missing a foundation plate, and the doors threshold, that that would make me think someone did not want to take the time to reframe the rough opening with a higher header.
I had to deal with one last week with this exact same issue.
It was a block house with a concrete, rebar reinforced header so they had just cut the door off 5" and set the threshold on top of the old busted out crooked block.
Termites had came right through the block into the studs, the threshold leaked air like crazy.
I used 1" foam cut to fit in the voids in the block and tapped them into the top of the block below to act as form and filled the voids with concrete.
That sounds like a great plan. I'll go that route as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.