DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to hire a professional but I don't want this problem to get worse either. I'm willing to take a stab at fixing it myself. If anyone can offer some simple D.I.Y. instructions, that would be great. Here are some pictures of my problem:

The affected part is circled in red

Closer up

This shot is taken from behind the fascia. I reached out of the window on the left in the 1st picture above and snapped the picture while looking to the left with the camera.

Another question I have is about how sturdy this type of roof tile is to walk on. I'm a pretty big guy (220lbs) and I'm affraid these things can easily break under me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pre-repair attempt update...

I went to Home Depot and picked up some Minwax Wood Hardener and High Performance Wood Filler. If I feel that I can safely access the rotted part of the fascia, I will give this stuff a try.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Niceguy, have you tried repairing this yet? Often rot like that is caused by a roof leak that runs down to the back side of the fascia and soffit. When you're up there check real close to see the extent of the rot and if you can locate a leak. The good thing is you have a vent right there for visual access. The bad thing is trying to set up a safe work platform on that roof cause it looks just a little too high for standing.

It would be best to cut out and replace the rotted areas. Prime all sides of the replacement material after cutting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts