DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I want to finish these stairs but I'm not sure how. My wife would like the risers to be white and the treads to be grey (paint color that will match the vinyl flooring). I'm assuming there is a special paint for this? Will I need to prime the stairs first before I paint?

The main concern I have is the wood used at the top of the stairs. I'm assuming I can just paint that because of the wood's texture? Do I need to replace this with wood similar to the rest of the stairs? If yes, I'm not sure I can find a single piece of wood that size to cover that part of the stairs. Do I just get two pieces and stick them together?

Thanks in advance everyone, I have never done stairs and this area at the top of the stairs is different than the youtube videos I have been searching for.

Floor Wood Stairs Room Architecture
Stairs Floor Hardwood Property Flooring

·
retired framer
53,982 Posts
They were built for carpet.
Check some heights
Height of the bottom step from the basement
Height of the top step to the upstairs floor
They all should be within 1/4" of each other including top and bottom, straight steps and pie shaped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response nealtw. There are stairs elsewhere in the house that have carpet as well. What do I need to do to the “pie” pieces to be able to paint them?

·
Super Moderator
14,625 Posts
Those winders are not in code, they must be 6 inches minimum at the ends, and be 10 inches deep at the accent/descent line which is 12 inches from side of stairs. You may be safe if the stairs are grandfathered in though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts